Kevin Lewis (American football)
|Date of birth:||October 6, 1978|
|Place of birth:||Orlando, Florida|
|High school:||Orlando (FL) Jones|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Kevin Lewis (born October 6, 1978 in Orlando, Florida) is a former professional American football linebacker in the National Football League who played for the New York Giants. He played college football at Duke.Lewis burst on the college scene against the #1 team in the country FSU, logging 8 tackles, a sack and an interception at 17 years of age. Lewis currently works at the National Training Center in Clermont, Florida working with elite level high school football prospects. On February 13, 2013, Lewis, was hired as Orlando Jones new Head football coach.
New York Giants
Lewis originally signed with the Giants on April 24, 2000 as an undrafted free agent after going undrafted in the 2000 NFL Draft. After being inactive for the first games of 2000, Lewis was waived to make room for placekicker Jaret Holmes. He was re-signed when Ralph Brown was placed on injured reserve. Overall, he played in seven games without recording a stat. He was released as a final cut on September 3, 2001. The Giants re-signed Lewis to the practice squad a day later. On November 4, he was signed to the active roster. Despite spending the first half of the year on the practice squad, Lewis played in nine games recording 12 tackles. After making the team out of training camp, Lewis recovered a fumbled snap against the Arizona Cardinals on September 30, 2002. Due to multiple injuries suffered by Giants players, Lewis got more playing time than was expected for him. Against the Washington Redskins on November 17, after Lewis tackled running back Ladell Betts he fumbled the ball, which was recovered by Giants player Marcellus Rivers. Lewis along with fellow linebacker, Nick Greisen got his first career start at linebacker against the Redskins on December 8. In the game, Lewis recorded six tackles and his first career sack. For the season, Lewis registered 12 tackles and a sack. Lewis followed up his 2002 performance by playing in all 16 games in 2003 and recording 16 tackles. When Mike Barrow was injured in game one of the 2004 season, Lewis was named the starter over Nick Greisen. On October 31 against the Minnesota Vikings recovered a fumble by Mewelde Moore for 16 yards. At the end of the year, Lewis ended up leading the Giants with 91 tackles. He was released as a final cut on September 3, 2005. Lewis sat out every game in 2005 without being signed, but after Antonio Pierce and Chase Blackburn became injured, Lewis re-signed before the first playoff game against the Carolina Panthers.
- "Giants Sign PK Jaret Holmes And De-Activate PK Brad Daluiso For Tomorrow's Game Waive LB Kevin Lewis To Make Room For Holmes". Giants.com. September 30, 2002. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- "Giants Place CB Ralph Brown On IR; Re-Sign LB Kevin Lewis". Giants.com. October 3, 2000. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- "Kevin Lewis". NFL.com. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- Pennington, Bill (September 3, 2001). "Giants, Tired of Waiting, Release Bennett". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- "Kevin Lewis, LB, Free Agent". KFFL. Archived from the original on December 5, 2014. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- "TRANSACTIONS". The New York Times. November 5, 2001. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- "Shipp comes in, capsizes Giants". Times Herald-Record. September 30, 2002. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- Vacchiano, Ralph (October 13, 2002). "PLAYBOOK Falcons at Giants WHERE: Giants Stadium WHEN: 1 p.m. LINE: Giants by 5½ Subs try to keep it afloat". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- Eisen, Michael (November 17, 2002). "Giants Over Redskins, 19-17". Giants.com. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- Olney, Buster (December 8, 2002). "Questions to Answer in Last Games". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- Eisen, Michael (December 8, 2002). "Giants 27, Redskins 21: Inside the Numbers!". Giants.com. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- Vacchianno, Ralph (September 10, 2004). "LEWIS MAN IN THE MIDDLE BEATS OUT VET GREISEN FOR SPOT AT LB". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- Campbell, Dave (October 31, 2004). "Giants continue dominance of Vikings 34-13". Associated Press. USA Today. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- Gleason, Kevin (December 12, 2004). "Giants' foe Raven mad". Times Herald-Record. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- Anderson, Dave (January 6, 2005). "Sports of The Times; N.F.L.'s Best-Kept Secret: Street Free Agents". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-08-20.