Kim Hughes (British Army soldier)
|Born||1979 (age 39–40)|
|Years of service||1997 – present|
|Rank||Warrant Officer Class 1|
|Unit||11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Regiment RLC|
|Battles/wars||War in Afghanistan|
Warrant Officer Class 1 Kim Spencer Hughes, GC (born 12 September 1979) is a British Army bomb disposal expert (Ammunition Technician) who was awarded the George Cross as a staff sergeant for gallant acts carried out in the Afghanistan conflict. Hughes made safe 119 improvised explosive devices on his tour of Afghanistan. The citation was presented to Hughes by the Chief of the Defence Staff, Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup on 18 March 2010 in a ceremony in the City of London. The posthumous award of the GC to Staff Sergeant Olaf Schmid was announced at the same time. The awarded was gazetted on 19 March 2010.
His citation states that he carried out "the single most outstanding act of explosive ordnance disposal ever recorded in Afghanistan".
Hughes was born in Germany, where his father was serving in the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, and returned to England in 1985. He lived in Weston-super-Mare until 1988 when he moved to Telford. There he was educated at Thomas Telford School.
Kim Hughes has received the following medals:
|George Cross (GC)||
|General Service Medal (1962)||
|Operational Service Medal for Afghanistan||
|Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal||
|Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal||
|Accumulated Campaign Service Medal|
|Long Service and Good Conduct Medal||
Because Hughes makes appearances in behalf of the Ministry of Defence he is expected to appear in appropriate uniform, such as mess dress and service dress. Hughes was featured on UK television during the process of creating these uniforms.
- "George Cross for Army Afghanistan bomb heroes". BBC. 18 March 2010. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "No. 59365". The London Gazette (Supplement). 19 March 2010. pp. 4831–4832.
- Shropshire Star, 19 March 2010
- "Former school honours George Cross hero, WO Kim Hughes". BBC News. 18 September 2012. Retrieved 12 June 2013.
- "Cpl. WOII Kim Hughes GC attends an afternoon tea reception for members of the Victoria Cross and George Cross Association Hosted by Prince Charles, Prince of Wales at St James Palace on October 27, 2014 in London, England". Getty Images. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- "Behind The Uniform: Making The British Military Look Impeccable". Youtube video: Forces TV. 21 November 2017.