Klein Associates Inc. is the company founded by Dr. Gary A. Klein to apply his research on decision-making in naturalistic settings. On September 2, 2005, Klein Associates was acquired by Applied Research Associates, a New Mexico-based firm that develops engineering solutions for private and public sector clients. Dr. Klein remains associated with the firm as Chief Scientist.
Consulting in naturalistic decision making
Klein associates is known for developing and applying its own approach to cognitive task analysis. Its approach is informed by the recognition primed decision model. This view of decision making in the real-world has led to developing models of several aspects of human cognition including: Problem Detection, Mental Simulation, Advanced Team Decision Making, and Dynamic Replanning.
The Naturalistic Decision Making approach championed by Gary Klein and Klein Associates challenges the views of decision making taken by Nobelist Daniel Kahneman, with other experts, like Roy Beach taking positions straddling Klein's and Kahneman's.
- Crandall, Beth; Klein, Gary; Hoffman, Robert R. (2006) Working Minds: A Practitioner's Guide to Cognitive Task Analysis Cambridge, MA: MIT Press
- Official company web site
- ASK Talks with Dr. Gary Klein. NASA ASK Issue 20 undated
- Seeing through Expert Eyes: Ace decision makers may perceive distinctive worlds Science News Vol. 154, No. 3, July 18, 1998, p. 44
- APA Monitor Decision researchers split, but prolific Vol. 30, No. 5, May 1999
- What's Your Intuition ? Fast Company August, 2000
- Bruce Bower, Reworking Intuition: Business simulations spark rapid workplace renovations Science Week Oct. 23, 2004; Vol. 166, No. 17 , p. 263
- the deciding factor Daniel D. Frey and Kemper Lewis Design engineers make decisions for a living: Research looks for ways to make the process go smoother. Mechanical Engineering Design March 2005
- Brown, Paul B. What's Offline: Analyzing Failure Beforehand New York Times September 22, 2007
|This organization-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|