Ledston is a village and civil parish 3 miles (5 km) north of Castleford and 10 miles (16 km) east of Leeds in the county of West Yorkshire, England. The village is in the City of Leeds metropolitan borough. It has a population of 400, reducing slightly to 394 at the 2011 Census.
Ledston is first mentioned in 1086, and on through the Middle Ages, in forms like Ledestun(e), Ledestona. The name seems to refer to Leeds (or the Old English precursor of this name, Loidis, which denoted a region rather than a town), meaning the tūn ('settlement, estate') belonging to Leeds. Ledston Hall was the home of Lady Elizabeth Hastings, daughter of the 7th Earl of Huntingdon, known to everyone as "Lady Betty".
Ledston Hall featured in the television show Most Haunted:Live on 27 October 2007 and was given the name "Wheler Priory" for security reasons at the time (Wheler being the surname of the last family owning the hall).
Ledston is also home to the Ledston Equine Centre located in the stables of Ledston Hall.
- Office for National Statistics : Census 2001 : Parish Headcounts : Leeds Retrieved 2009-09-10
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 28 February 2016.
- Victor Watts (ed.), The Cambridge Dictionary of English Place-Names, Based on the Collections of the English Place-Name Society (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004), s.v. LEDSTON.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ledston.|
- The ancient parish of Ledsham: historical and genealogical information at GENUKI (Ledston was in this parish).
- Historic England. "Ledston Hall, grade I (428817)". Images of England.
- Historic England. "Ledston Lodge, in Ledston Park, grade I (428808)". Images of England.
- Historic England. "Barn at Ledston Hall, grade I (428822)". Images of England.
- Historic England. "Ledston Hall entrance gates and lodges, grade I (428818)". Images of England.
- Historic England. "Stable block at Ledston Hall, grade I (428821)". Images of England.
|This West Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|