April 21, 1921|
|Died||March 7, 2008
|Institutions||Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie|
|Alma mater||Leiden University|
Holthuis was born in Probolinggo, East Java and obtained his doctorate from Leiden University on 23 January 1946. He was appointed the assistant curator of the Rijksmuseum van Natuurlijke Historie (now Naturalis) in Leiden in 1941. He was the most prolific carcinologist of the 20th century, publishing 620 papers (108 of which were in the Leiden Museum Journals) totalling 12,795 pages which is an average of 185 pages per year and an average of approximately 21 pages per paper. These were published on many groups of crustaceans, their natural history and nomenclature, and the history of carcinology. This steady stream of publications resulted in the description of 428 new taxa: 2 new families, 5 subfamilies, 83 genera and 338 species. 67 taxa were named after him between 1953 (Hippolyte holthuisi) and 2009 (Caridina holthuisi, Lysmata holthuisi). However, in Fransen, C.H.J.M., De Grave, S., Ng, P.K.L. 2010, an additional 50 taxa were named after him.
Publication on Holthuis
- (Dutch) Alex Alsemgeest & Charles Fransen [et al.]: In krabbengang door kreeftenboeken. De Bibliotheca Carcinologica L.B. Holthuis. Leiden, Naturalis Biodiversity Center, 2016. ISBN 978-90-6519-013-0
- Charles H. J. M. Fransen & Martien J. P. van Oijen (2008). "L. B. Holthuis, 'The institutional Memory' of the Leiden Museum - Obituary". Contributions to Zoology. 77 (3): 201–204.
- Peter K. L. Ng (16 June 2000). "Development and future direction of biodiversity collections in Southeast Asia" (DOC). Raffles Museum of Biodiversity Research.
- Chien-Hui Yang, I-Shiung Chen & Tin-Yam Chan (2008). "A new slipper lobster of the genus Petrarctus (Crustacea: Decapoda: Scyllaridae) from the West Pacific" (PDF). Raffles Bulletin of Zoology. Suppl. 19: 71–81.
- Neil Cumberlidge & Sadie K. Reed (1 July 2003). "Scientists who have contributed to our knowledge of freshwater crab biology". Northern Michigan University.
- Hans G. Hansson (14 November 1997). "Biographical Etymology of Marine Organisms – H". Tjärnö Marine Biological Laboratory.
- Gerlof Leistra (5 April 2008). Keizer van de kreeftachtigen. Elsevier magazine. p. 101.
- Fransen, C.H.J.M., De Grave, S., Ng, P.K.L. (2010). "In Memoriam Lipke Bijdeley Holthuis". In Fransen, C.H.J.M., De Grave, S., Ng, P.K.L. Studies on Malacostraca: Lipke Bijdeley Holthuis Memorial Volume. Crustaceana Monographs, 14. Leiden: Brill. ISBN 9789004174290.
- A selection of articles published by L.B. Holthuis for the Leiden Museum 
|This article about a Dutch scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a zoologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|