Information held under Section 142 of the Education Act 2002
List 99 (also known as the Children’s Barred List[better source needed] and, later, as information held under Section 142 of the Education Act 2002) was a controversial, confidential register of people barred from working with children by the Department for Education and Skills (DfES) In the United Kingdom. The list contained the names, dates of birth, aliases, and national insurance numbers of those people deemed not suitable to work with children in schools, social work and voluntary settings.
As of 2007, List 99 contained approximately 5000 names.
In January or October 2009, List 99 and some other, similar lists, were replaced by the Children's Barred List, which was created under the Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006 and which was maintained by the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA).
Under the Protection of Children Act 1999, people were placed onto List 99 if they had been convicted of, or had received a caution for, an offence against a child.
In the United Kingdom, List 99 was not primarily concerned with child protection, but section 142 allows the Secretary of State to prohibit certain persons from working in schools. Section 143 prohibits a person from arranging to hire any other person who is subject to a direction under section 142 to work in a school.
Adults convicted of serious sexual offences committed against children under the age of 16 since 1995 were automatically placed on List 99. Additional reasons for inclusion were sexual or violent behaviour towards children, abuses of trust, drug offences, any violent crime (for example, conviction of rioting or football hooliganism), stealing school property and deception in job applications. Medical conditions such as drug or alcohol abuse and mental illness were grounds for exclusion.
- "CRB checks for taxi drivers". Dacorum Borough Council. Archived from the original on 2012-08-29.
- Lishman, Joyce (15 May 2007). Handbook for practice learning in social work and social care. Jessica Kingsley Publishers. p. 310.
- "Circular number 11/95 - List 99". Department for Education and Skills. Archived from the original on 2008-11-20.
- Times, Q&A: what is List 99?, Sam Knight, Jan 11th 2006[dead link]
- Erooga 2012, p. 47.
- GallowayHouston 2008, p. 113.
- Erooga 2012, p. 48.
- Finch 2001, p. 24.
- GallowayHouston 2008, p. 115.
- GallowayHouston 2008, p. 124.
- "The Disclosure and Barring Service is created". www.gov.uk.
- http://www.mjsol.co.uk/resources/library/statutes/education-act-2002/ Education Act 2002, Malcolm Johnson & Co