List of nicknames for San Francisco
San Francisco, California in the United States has seen many nicknames over the years. Some are nicknames which have faded in use, while others have evolved over time. At least one nickname, "Frisco", was disparaged at one time but has been making a comeback. The following is a list of them, in alphabetical order:
- Baghdad by the Bay - in reference to Market Street (San Francisco), San Francisco's most important commercial thoroughfare
- The City - in reference to a term sometimes used to describe San Francisco by residents of the San Francisco Bay Area of Northern California
- The City by the Bay, or Bay City - in reference to San Francisco's prominent bayside location on San Francisco Bay
- The City that Knows How
- Fog City - in reference to San Francisco's famous fogs
- Frisco - previously disparaged but making a return
- The Golden City or Golden Gate City - in reference to the Golden Gate Bridge;
- The Paris of the West - a little self-congratulatory
- San Fran - a truncated term, disparaged by locals
- SF - in reference to the initialism for San Francisco, the most common term used by locals
- 415 - in reference to the area code that serves the city of San Francisco (as well as most of Marin County).
- James Sullivan (October 14, 2003). "Frisco, that once-verboten term for the city by the bay, is making a comeback among the young and hip. Herb Caen is spinning at warp speed". SFChrnoicle.com. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- Garling, Caleb (June 30, 2013). "Don't Call It Frisco: The History of San Francisco's Nicknames". The Bold Italic. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- Mike Moffitt (April 4, 2014). "The odd nicknames of California cities". SFChronicle.com. Retrieved July 30, 2017.