St. Laurent (grape)
St. Laurent in Viala & Vermorel
|Color of berry skin||Noir|
|Also called||see list|
St. Laurent is the most widely planted red grape variety in the Czech Republic, growing in all wine subregions in both Moravia and Bohemia. It comprises approximately 9% of total vineyards, or 1,730 hectares (4,300 acres).
In Austria, St. Laurent is the third most popular red grape variety and is primarily grown in Lower Austria and Burgenland. In 2008, Austrian plantations stood at 794 hectares (1,960 acres), and have expanded in the 2000s as a part of general red wine trend in Austria, after having declined somewhat during the 1990s.
- Zweigelt was created in 1922 by Fritz Zweigelt by crossing Blaufränkisch and St. Laurent.
- André was bred in 1960 by J. Horák by crossing St. Laurent and Blaufränkisch, and entered into the Czech State Register of Grape Varieties in 1980.
- Neronet is (St. Laurent x Blauer Portugieser) x (Alicante Bouschet x Cabernet Sauvignon), where Alicante Bouschet x Cabernet Sauvignon was given the name Alibernet.
- Rondo is Zarya Severa x St. Laurent. It was initially labelled Gm 6494-5, as it was number 5 in a series of similar crosses. Other members of the Gm 6494 population were used to create Bronner, Baron, Cabernet Carbon, Prior and Souvignier gris.
St. Laurent is known under the following synonyms: Blauer Saint Laurent, Chvartser, Laourentstraoube, Laurenzitraube, Laurenztraube, Lorentstraube, Lorenztraube, Lovrenac Crni, Lovrijenac, Lovrijenac Crni, Saint Laurent noir, Saint Lorentz, Sankt Laurent, Sankt Lorenztraube, Sant Lorentz, Schwarzer, Schwarzer Lorenztraube, Sent Laourent, Sent Lovrenka, Sentlovrenka, Shentlovrenka, Shvartser, St. Laurent, Svati Vavrinetz, Svatovavřinecké, Svatovavrinetske, Svatovavrinetzke, Svätovavrinecké, Svaty Vavrinec, Szent Lőrinc, Szent Lőrinczi, Szent Loerine, Szentlőrinc, Vavrinak
- Wine of Czech Republic: Statistics and Charts, accessed on June 30, 2011
- Österreich Wein: St. Laurent, accessed on November 9, 2009 (in German)
- Österreich Wein: Dokumentation 2009 - Aufbau Weinland Österreich - Teil 1, p. 40, accessed on November 9, 2009 (in German)
- Wine of Czech Republic: Wine Varieties, accessed on June 30, 2011
- Vitis International Variety Catalogue: Saint Laurent, accessed on November 9, 2009
- Pierre Galet (2000) (in German), Dictionnaire encyclopédique des cépages (1. ed.), Hachette Livre, ISBN 2-01-236331-8
- Walter Hillebrand; Heinz Lott; Franz Pfaff (2003) (in German), Taschenbuch der Rebsorten (13. ed.), Fachverlag Fraund, Mainz, ISBN 3-921156-53-X
- Robinson, Jancis (Editor). The Oxford Companion to Wine (3rd ed.). ISBN 0-19-860990-6.