|Genres||Progressive metal, post-metal|
|Labels||Spinefarm, UDR Music|
|Associated acts||Death, Testament, Sadus, Opeth, Amon Amarth, Willowtree, Avatarium|
Steve Di Giorgio|
Initially formed in 2004, it was in May 2010 that the formation of Soen was announced. The original lineup consisted of former Opeth drummer Martin Lopez, ex-Death, Testament and Sadus bassist Steve Di Giorgio, Willowtree vocalist Joel Ekelöf and guitarist Kim Platbarzdis. The group's first song, "Fraccions", was released on the band's official website in October 2010. Their first video, for the song "Savia", was posted on their Facebook page in February 2012. Their second video is a moody acoustic version of the song "Ideate". The band's third video is for the song "Delenda".
Drummer Martin Lopez has described Soen's music as "melodic, heavy, intricate and very different than everything else." Their debut, Cognitive, was released in February 2012 receiving positive critical reception. The members' technical proficiency was praised the most, though many reviewers noted extreme stylistic similarities to the music of Tool.
Martin Lopez commented on the Tool similarity: "We are inspired by Tool but I consider them not only a band but a genre. Besides that, I really don’t think there’s anything to argue about, we make good music whoever it would remind you of. Some people tend to dislike rather than like and are looking for faults instead of seeing music for what it is, good or bad".
Cognitive was released on Spinefarm records in February 15, 2012. The album was mixed by David Bottrill (Tool, Coheed and Cambria, Silverchair, Smashing Pumpkins, Muse, etc.) and mastered by João Carvalho. There's also a bonus track on the Japanese edition called “Writhen”.
Tellurian is the second album released by Soen on November 4, 2014. The album was produced by Platbarzdis, mixed again by David Bottrill and mastered at Bob Ludwig's Gateway setup in the U.S. by Adam Ayan.
Lykaia is the third album released by Soen on February 3, 2017. The whole album was recorded using analog equipment.
- Current members
- Martin Lopez - drums, percussion
- Joel Ekelöf – vocals
- Lars Åhlund - keyboards
- Stefan Stenberg – bass
- Marcus Jidell - guitars
- Former members
- Steve Di Giorgio – bass
- Christian Andolf – bass
- Joakim Platbarzdis – guitars
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
Singles and music videos
- "Savia" (2012)
- "Delenda" (2012)
- "Tabula Rasa" (2014)
- "The Words" (2014)
- "Lucidity" (2017)
- "Opal" (2017)
- May 28, 2010, , Blabbermouth.net, retrieved on February 23rd, 2012.
- Oct. 17, 2010, , Blabbermouth.net, retrieved on February 23rd, 2012.
- Feb. 2, 2010, , Blabbermouth.net, retrieved on February 23rd, 2012.
- Interview with Martin Lopez, by Grande-Rock.com retrieved on March 15th, 2012.
- "Soen Album & Song Chart History: Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- Steffen Hung. "Das österreichische Hitparaden- und Musik-Portal". Austriancharts.at. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- Steffen Hung. "Finnish charts portal". finnishcharts.com. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche". musicline.de. Retrieved 2017-02-24.
- Steffen Hung. "Die Offizielle Schweizer Hitparade und Music Community". Hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2017-02-24.