M. A. Alford
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Alford during a birthday performance
|Born||Mark Allen Alford Jr.
August 17, 1991 (age 26)
Mark Allen Alford Jr. (born August 17, 1991) is an American multimedia artist known for his installations and symbolic imagery. His most noted work is an installation commenting on teen pregnancy entitled, "Sex-ed", which featured 50 helium-filled condoms and a baby-doll and was featured on various news media including CNN. His mediums have included painting, film photography, installation art, performance art, screen printing, and video art.
He is also noted for his extensive exhibition history despite his young age. He had 3 solo exhibitions and 12 group exhibitions before the age of 20. His works are in prominent public collections such as the Frederick R. Weisman Art Foundation and private collections such as Biggest Loser Winner Ali Vincent.
Alford has also been involved in directing and curating as well. He received many reviews and press from his avant-garde art show, "Under 21" featuring only artists under the age of 21. His role in this was as director and participating artist. His most acclaimed series of fashion body bags were debuted at this event. The show featured 7 artists, a curator, and director.
He has also been featured in the Taiwanese magazine, "The Big Issue," and in Juxtapoz for his underwater series called "Ethereal Waters" as well as Fox and The Buzz Kansas City As of 2010 he was working in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Weiderman, Christine. "50 Contemporary Artists You Should Know." Prestel. 2010. ISBN 978-3-7913-4530-7
- "Condom art" CNN. May 4, 2010.
- Official Website
- "Student's Art Project Causes Stir" Archived July 9, 2010, at the Wayback Machine., WDAF-TV, May 6, 2010, archived
- The Big Issue Taiwan. Issue Number 5. 2010 http://www.bigissue.tw/recentissues[not specific enough to verify]
- "Ethereal Waters: An Underwater Series", Juxtapoz, June 23, 2010.
- 96.5 the Buzz "Interview with 'Condom Boy' " http://www.965thebuzz.com/Afentra-s-Big-Fat-Morning-Buzz/11315180 Archived November 1, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Brisendine, Steve. "The Deep End of the Pool: M.A. Alford" Archived January 22, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. eReview. August 11, 2010.
- Saatchi Online http://www.saatchionline.com/profile/97373