Mary Ellen Copeland
Mary Ellen Copeland, PhD, is an author, educator, mental health advocate, and mental illness survivor. Copeland’s work is based on the study of the coping and wellness strategies of people who have experienced mental health challenges. She is the author and designer of the Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP), an Evidence-based, mental health recovery program.
When Copeland was a child, her mother spent 8 years, from the ages of 37 to 45, in a state mental institution, diagnosed with severe and incurable manic depression. Copeland also was diagnosed at 37 years of age with manic depression and took lithium.
In 2005, Copeland's work led to the creation of the non-profit, the Copeland Center for Wellness and Recovery which continues her work through trainings around the world. Copeland created a survey and administered it to 125 volunteers to find out what treatments worked for them.
Copeland is the owner of Peach Press which publishes many of her books and other works.
Copeland was awarded the United States Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association's USPRA John Beard Award for outstanding contributions to the field of psychosocial rehabilitation in 2006. She received Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's Lifetime Achievement Voice Award in 2009.
- Youth WRAP [2012 Peach Press] ISBN 978-09848326-6-8
- WRAP for the Effects of Trauma [2012 Peach Press] ISBN 978-0-9848326-5-1
- Wellness Recovery Action Plan [rev.2011. Peach Press] ISBN 978-0-9795560-9-8
- A WRAP Workbook for Kids [2011 Peach Press] ISBN 978-0-9795560-7-4
- WRAP Plus [2010 Peach Press]ISBN 978-0-9795560-8-1
- Recovering from Depression: A Workbook for Teens ISBN 1-55766-592-3
- The WRAP Story [2008 Peach Press] ISBN 978-0-9795560-3-6
- The Loneliness Workbook [2007 Peach Press] ISBN 978-1-57224-203-6
- The Worry Control Workbook [2003 Peach Press] ISBN 0-9631366-6-6
- Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) for Veterans and People in the Military [2007 Peach Press] ISBN 0-9631366-8-2
- Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) For Addictions ISBN 978-097955604-3
- Winning Against Relapse [1999 Peach Press] ISBN 0-9631366-5-8
- Healing the Trauma of Abuse with Maxine Harris ISBN 1-57224-199-3
- The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression ISBN 978-1-57224-268-5
- Living Without Depression and Manic Depression
- Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain (co-authored with Devin Starlanyl) ISBN 1-57224-238-8
- Community Links: Pathways to Reconnection and Recovery with Shery Mead ISBN 978-0-9631366-9-5
- WRAP and Peer Support with Shery Mead ISBN 978-0-9631366-7-1
- Effect of Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) Participation on Psychiatric Symptoms, Sense of Hope, and Recovery Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal Issue: Volume 34, Number 3 / Winter 2011. Sadaaki Fukui, Vincent R. Starnino, Mariscal Susana, Lori J. Davidson A1, Karen Cook, Charles A. Rapp, Elizabeth A. Gowdy. University of Kansas
- Propensity for Patient Self-Advocacy Through Wellness Recovery Action Planning: Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial Community Mental Health Journal. December 2011. Jessica A. Jonikas • Dennis D. Grey • Mary Ellen Copeland • Lisa A. Razzano • Marie M. Hamilton • Carol Bailey Floyd • Walter B. Hudson • Judith A. Cook.
- Results of a Randomized Controlled Trial of Mental Illness Self-management Using Wellness Recovery Action Planning Schizophrenia Bulletin. March 14, 2011. Judith A. Cook, Mary Ellen Copeland, Jessica A. Jonikas, Marie M. Hamilton, Lisa A. Razzano, Dennis D. Grey, Carol B. Floyd, Walter B. Hudson, Rachel T. Macfarlane, Tina M. Carter, and Sherry Boyd.
- Pamphlets published by Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Copeland, Mary Ellen. The WRAP Story: First Person Accounts of Personal and System Recovery and Transformation. West Dummerston, VT, Peach Press: 2008. p. 4.
- Copeland, Mary Ellen (2000). "What Recovery Means to Us" (PDF). What Recovery Means to Us.
- Copeland, Mary Ellen. The WRAP Story: First Person Accounts of Personal and System Recovery and Transformation. West Dummerston, VT, Peach Press: 2008. p. 5.
- "Peach Press Trademark Details". paper.zibb.com. 2012. Retrieved April 20, 2012.
- "USPRA Awards of Distinction (2011 nomination form)". USPRA. Retrieved April 20, 2012.
- "SAMHSA News" (PDF). 17 (6). November–December 2009. p. 10.
- "Publication search results for Copeland". samhsa.gov. 2012. Retrieved April 20, 2012.