Metal Mutant is a side-scrolling action-adventure game developed and published for MS-DOS, Amiga and Atari ST by Silmarils and released in 1991. It is similar to Game Arts' Thexder in that it allows you to transform at any time into three different robot forms (Cyborg, Dino and Tank).
Right from the start the player has a possibility to instantly transform into 3 mechanical robots, each possessing unique abilities:
- From the start: Jump, Recharge, Trident
- Later: Axe, Grappling Hook, Energy Blast
- From the start: Bite, Flame, Flame tail
- Later: Shield, Remote Mechanical Fly, Bionic Eye
- From the start: 360° Laser Gun
- Later: Heavy Torpedo, Boss Energy Signature Detector
Upgrades are performed either by finding and picking them up as modules, or programming via terminals.
The only feature that is common to all robots is the Turbomutant, in the last screens of the game.
You control Metal Mutant, the ultimate battle machine, which was sent to the heavily protected high-tech planet Kronox to find and destroy the tyrant AROD 7. On the way to this goal, you need to solve puzzles and combat hostile lifeforms and enemy robots.
- Game manual