A micellar solution consists of a dispersion of micelles in a solvent (most usually water). Micelles consist of aggregated amphiphiles, and in a micellar solution these are in equilibrium with free, unaggregated amphiphiles. Micellar solutions form when the concentration of amphiphile exceeds the critical micellar concentration (CMC) or critical aggregation concentration - CAC, and persist until the amphiphile concentration becomes sufficiently high to form a lyotropic liquid crystal phase.
Although micelles are often depicted as being spherical, they can be cylindrical or oblate depending on the chemical structure of the amphiphile. Micellar solutions are isotropic phases.
Micellar water has been used in France since 1913.
- YUANQING, ZHANG; XIANCHENG, ZENG; SIQING, CHENG; XIAOQI, YU; ANMING, TIAN (1999-04-01). "Micellar Catalysis of Composite Reactions I Micellar Effect on the Consecutive First Order Reaction". Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. 20 (3): 1009–1024. doi:10.1080/01932699908943831. ISSN 0193-2691.
- El-Aila, Hisham J. (2013-07-03). "Micellar Catalytic Reduction of Glycine by 2,7-Dibromo-4-(Hydroxymercuri)-Fluoresceine Disodium Salt: Kinetic and Thermodynamic Aspects". Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. 34 (7): 957–963. doi:10.1080/01932691.2012.735904. ISSN 0193-2691.
- Oh, S. G.; Shah, D. O. (1994-01-01). "Micellar Lifetime: Its Relevance to Various Technological Processes". Journal of Dispersion Science and Technology. 15 (3): 297–316. doi:10.1080/01932699408943559. ISSN 0193-2691.
- "Birla Institute of Technology & Science Pilani Files Patent Application for a Nano-Micellar Composition for drug Delivery and Method of Preparing the Same." Indian Patent News, 24 Nov. 2018. Infotrac Newsstand, http://link.galegroup.com/apps/doc/A563169575/GPS?u=tplmain&sid=GPS&xid=1bedfe4f.
- https://www.rd.com/health/beauty/micellar-water/ Micellar Water, a Popular Beauty Trend Dating Back to France in the 1900s, Is Officially Back- Reader's Digest Shannon Donohue
- "What The Heck Is Micellar Water, And Should You Use It?". HuffPost. 2015-07-15. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- Nast, Condé. "Here's How Micellar Water Actually Works". Allure. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- Wischhover, Cheryl (2017-11-13). "The Pros and Cons of Micellar Water". Racked. Retrieved 2019-04-20.
- Janine. "HOW MICELLER CLEANSERS WORK AND WHY THEY 'RE GOOD TO SKIN". Beautygeeks. Retrieved 2019-04-20.