Michael Delaney (lawyer)
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Michael A. Delaney|
|New Hampshire Attorney General|
August 24, 2009 – May 15, 2013
|Governor||John H. Lynch
|Preceded by||Kelly Ayotte|
|Succeeded by||Joseph Foster|
July 19, 1969 |
Danvers, Massachusetts, U.S.
|Residence||Manchester, New Hampshire, U.S.|
|Alma mater||College of the Holy Cross
Michael A. "Mike" Delaney (born July 19, 1969) is an American lawyer and former Attorney General of New Hampshire. Delaney was appointed to the office of Attorney General by Governor John H. Lynch in August 2009. He decided not to seek reappointment by Governor Maggie Hassan at the end of his term in 2013, instead taking a position at the McLane Law Firm.
Delaney grew up as the youngest of five children in a Roman Catholic family in Danvers, Massachusetts. His father, Arthur Delaney, was a probation officer. He graduated from St John's Preparatory School in 1987.
He joined the New Hampshire Attorney General's office in 1999, initially serving as an Assistant Attorney General. Delaney then served as the Homicide Unit chief in the office until 2004, when he became Deputy Attorney General. During this time, Delaney successfully prosecuted infamous murderers such as Gary Lee Sampson, Joseph Whittey, and Robert Tulloch and James Parker.
Delaney served as Deputy Attorney General until 2006, when he left that post to become Governor Lynch's legal counsel. Lynch appointed Delaney New Hampshire Attorney General in 2009 after accepting the resignation of Kelly Ayotte. Delaney was sworn in on August 24, 2009, upon being unanimously confirmed by the Executive Council.
As Attorney General, Delaney set combating financial crimes as one of his top three priorities, telling the Concord Monitor, "It's a time in the state where the state really needs to commit its resources to combating any financial exploitation and fraud, particularly in the housing and mortgage [industries] and in the refinance markets."
Under Delaney, the Attorney General's office and the state banking department collaborated to create a new, state attorney-run fraud protection unit within the state's Consumer Protection Bureau.
- U.S. Public Records Index Vol 1 (Provo, UT: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.), 2010.
- Leubsdorf, Ben (May 17, 2013). "Ex-AG Mike Delaney takes job at new AG Joe Foster's old law firm". Concord Monitor. Retrieved June 5, 2013.
- Forman, Ethan (September 1, 2009). "Danvers native becomes N.H.'s top legal eagle". The Salem News. Retrieved September 13, 2009.
- Press Release: Gov. Lynch Swears In Michael Delaney as Attorney General, governor.nh.gov; August 24, 2009; accessed April 19, 2015.
- Consumer Protection Bureau profile, concordmonitor.com; accessed April 19, 2015.
- AG Michael Delaney: There were “deficiencies” in the Greenland drug raid, concordmonitor.com, December 15, 2012; accessed April 19, 2015.
|Attorney General of New Hampshire
August 24, 2009 – May 15, 2013