Mildred Parten Newhall
|Mildred B. Parten Newhall|
|Died||May 26, 1970|
|Institutions||University of Rochester|
|Alma mater||University of Minnesota|
|Thesis||An Analysis of Social Participation, Leadership, and other Factors in Preschool Play Groups (1929)|
|Doctoral advisor||F. Stuart Chapin|
|Known for||Parten's stages of play|
|Spouse||Sidney M. Newhall|
Newhall was one of the first to conduct extensive studies on children for the case of play. She supervised children between two and five years old for intense one-minute periods. In these time frames, she could see the different children's behavior and documented them accordingly. She noted that most of the play is by themselves, in the first four stages. The latter two are more extensive sets of play, and occur in older age groups which involve more interaction between children.
She was married to Sidney Newhall, a researcher for Eastman Kodak in Rochester, New York. Mildred Parten Newhall was a research associate in psychology at the University of Rochester and died in 1970.
- Parten, M. B. (1929). An Analysis of Social Participation, Leadership, and other Factors in Preschool Play Groups. OCLC 29143846.
- Parten, M. B. (1932). "Social Participation among Preschool Children". Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology. 27 (3): 243–269. ISSN 0096-851X. doi:10.1037/h0074524.
- Parten, M. B. (1933). "Leadership among Preschool Children". Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology. 27 (4): 430–440. doi:10.1037/h0073032.
- Parten, M. B. (1933). "Social Play among Preschool Children". Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology. 28 (2): 136–147. doi:10.1037/h0073939.
- Parten, Mildred; Newhall, S. M. (1943). "Social Behavior of Preschool Children". In Barker, Roger G.; Kounin, Jacob S.; Wright, Herbert F. Child Behavior and Development: A Course of Representative Studies. New York: McGraw-Hill. pp. 509–525. OCLC 223918.
- Democrat and Chronicle. October 2, 1950 https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/136036302/. Missing or empty
- Bernard, Jessie (1970). "Mildred Parten Newhall 1902–1970". American Sociologist. 5 (4): 383. JSTOR 27701690.
- New, Rebecca Staples; Cochran, Moncrieff (2008). "Parten, Mildred (1902–)". Early Childhood Education: An International Encyclopedia. Volume 3: O–Z. Greenwood. pp. 592–593. ISBN 0-313-33103-0.
|This biography of an American sociologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|