|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2006) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Cover from Mississippi Single from Pussycat (1975)
|Single by Pussycat|
|from the album First of All|
|Recorded||1975 at EMI-Bovema Studios, Heemstede, Netherlands|
Private Stock (US)
|Pussycat singles chronology|
Werner Theunissen wrote "Mississippi" in 1969 being inspired by the Bee Gees song "Massachusetts". The song grabbed EMI Bovema's attention, and they decided to sign the band. By December 1975, the song became a massive hit seller at the number one position in the Dutch charts, followed by its international success in 1976 pushing the song into the charts across Europe and the United Kingdom as far as Africa and Australia, where it reached number one in August 1976. It spent four weeks at number one on the UK Singles Chart in October 1976. In South America, it charted for 129 weeks. It is estimated to have sold five million copies worldwide.
Another version of this song was recorded by Barbara Fairchild. There is also a version in Spanish called "Te Necesito" by the Colombian singer Fernando Calle. Another notable cover version was recorded by Swedish dansband Vikingarna, that released the song in Swedish, with lyrics by Margot Borgström in April 1976, less than six months after the original release. The Swedish song title was also "Mississippi", and it appeared on the band's album Kramgoa Låtar 3 the same year.
There was also a Czech version of this song performed by singer and actress Petra Černocká.
Charts and certifications
Sales and certifications
- Dutch Charts. "Werner Theunissen".
- Roberts, David, ed. (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London, England: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 332. ISBN 978-1-90499-410-7.
- Kutner, Jon; Leigh, Spencer (2005). 100 UK Number One Hits. London, England: Omnibus Press. ISBN 978-0-85712-360-2.
- "Svensk mediedatabas". Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, New South Wales, Australia: Australian Chart Book. p. 242. ISBN 978-0-64611-917-5.
- "Austriancharts.at – Pussycat – Mississippi" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Pussycat – Mississippi" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Musicline.de – Pussycat Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Mississippi". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Pussycat search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40.
- "Charts.org.nz – Pussycat – Mississippi". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Pussycat – Mississippi". VG-lista.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Pussycat – Mississippi". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – Pussycat – Mississippi". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Archive Chart: 1976-10-16" UK Singles Chart.
- Kent (1993). "1976 Top 25 Singles". p. 428.
- Scapolo, Dean (1997). New Zealand Music Charts 1966 to 1996 – Singles. IPL Publications Services. p. 356. ISBN 978-0-90887-600-6.
- "Top 50 Singles of 1976". Music Week. London, England: Spotlight Publications: 25. 25 December 1976.
- "Gold-/Platin-Datenbank (Pussycat; 'Mississippi')" (in German). Bundesverband Musikindustrie.
- "British single certifications – Pussycat – Mississippi". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Mississippi in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Gold in the field By Award. Click Search
"Dancing Queen" by ABBA
|UK number one single
12 October 1976 for four weeks
"If You Leave Me Now" by Chicago