Mother and Child (2009 film)
|Mother and Child|
Australian theatrical poster
|Directed by||Rodrigo García|
|Produced by||Lisa Maria Falcone
|Written by||Rodrigo García|
|Music by||Ed Shearmur|
|Cinematography||Xavier Pérez Grobet|
|Edited by||Steven Weisberg|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Classics|
|Box office||$4 million|
Mother and Child is an American drama film directed and written by Rodrigo García. It premiered on September 14, 2009, at the 2009 Toronto International Film Festival and at the Sundance Film Festival on January 23, 2010, and was the closing night selection within Maryland Film Festival 2010. It was given a limited release in the United States beginning May 7, 2010.
When she was 14, Karen (Annette Bening) became pregnant and gave her daughter up for adoption. The decision to give up her child has always haunted her. Upon meeting laid-back Paco (Jimmy Smits), Karen permits her anxiety and mistrust to get the best of her. She gradually calms her anxiety through the relationship with Paco.
Karen's daughter, Elizabeth (Naomi Watts), grows up to be solitary, willful, and hardhearted. She is hired as an attorney at a prestigious law firm headed by Paul (Samuel L. Jackson). They have an affair, and she becomes pregnant. She quits without informing Paul of her condition, and moves to a new apartment and a new job. She deposits a letter for her biological mother in the organization that arranged the adoption.
Lucy (Kerry Washington) is a baker who longs to be a mother but cannot have children of her own. She and her husband, Joseph (David Ramsey), contact the same adoption agency and meet with a prospective mother. After a protracted interview period, the mother agrees to give the couple her baby, but changes her mind after giving birth. Lucy is devastated.
Elizabeth dies while giving birth to her child. Since no one steps forward to claim the baby, Lucy adopts her. One year later, Karen finds out about Elizabeth's death and letter, which informs her that she has a granddaughter named Ella. She meets the little girl and Lucy, who live in her neighborhood.
- David Ramsey as Joseph
- Naomi Watts as Elizabeth
- Annette Bening as Karen
- Alexandria M. Salling as 14 Year Old Karen
- Kerry Washington as Lucy
- Samuel L. Jackson as Paul
- Shareeka Epps as Ray
- David Morse as Tom
- Connor Kramme as 14 Year Old Tom
- Amy Brenneman as Dr. Stone
- Marc Blucas as Steven
- Carla Gallo as Tracy
- Jimmy Smits as Paco
- Brittany Robertson as Violet
- Tatyana Ali as Maria
- Cherry Jones as Sister Joanne
- Elpidia Carrillo as Sofia
- S. Epatha Merkerson as Ada
- Ahmed Best as Julian
- Eileen Ryan as Nora
- Latanya Richardson as Carol
- Lisa Gay Hamilton as Leticia
- Elizabeth Peña as Amanda
Originally going to be produced by Cha Cha Cha Films, Focus Films and Universal Studios; Julie Lynn through Mockingbird Films took over in late 2008 with a production budget of $7 million. Principal photography began in January 2009.
The movie has been met with generally positive reviews, with critics praising the stand out performance of David Ramsey, and garnering an 79% approval rating from Rotten Tomatoes and a weighted average score of 64 at Metacritic.
The movie was awarded by the Grand Prix du Jury 2010 at the Deauville American Film Festival (France)
- McCarthy, Todd (September 16, 2009). "Mother and Child: TIFF Review". Variety. Reed Business Information. Retrieved March 22, 2010.
- Rich, Katey (January 28, 2010). "Sundance Review: Mother And Child". CinemaBlend.com. Cinema Blend LLC. Retrieved March 22, 2010.
- "Mother and Child Release". CraveOnline. ComingSoon.net. Retrieved March 22, 2010.
- Frater, Patrick (November 5, 2008). "Bening, Watts star in 'Mother'". Variety (Reed Business Information). Retrieved June 1, 2009.
- "Samuel L. Jackson Joins Mother and Child". ComingSoon.net. CraveOnline. January 30, 2010. Retrieved March 22, 2010.
- "Mother and Child Movie Reviews". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- "Mother and Child Reviews at Metacritic.com". Metacritic. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- Official website
- Official Mother and Child Facebook Page
- Mother and Child at the Internet Movie Database
- Mother and Child at Box Office Mojo
- Mother and Child at Rotten Tomatoes
- Mother and Child at Metacritic