Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries
The Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries also popularly called MFM is a Pentecostal denomination founded in Yaba, Lagos, Lagos State, Nigeria in 1989, now with churches in several English-speaking and non-English speaking countries. It was founded by Dr. Daniel Kolawole Olukoya (DKO).
Mountain Of Fire And Miracles Ministries was founded by Daniel Kolawole Olukoya at a prayer meeting in 1989 in his living room.
The prayer group purchased a large site at an abandoned slum near the University of Lagos, and converted it into the International Headquarters of the Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries of which Olukoya is the General Overseer. The first service there was on April 24, 1994.
At the new location, worshippers and those seeking help kept coming leading to a very large congregation. This situation posed a challenge of crowd, growth and expansion management to the leadership of the church. Thus, MFM created a network of branches in every state capital, local government headquarters, senatorial district and locality.
According to the group's literature, it is committed to "the Revival of Apostolic Signs, Holy Ghost fireworks and the unlimited demonstration of the power of God to deliver to the uttermost". As the name would imply, the Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries places a great emphasis on wonders, miracles and other Apostolic acts.
MFM describe themselves as "a do-it-yourself gospel ministry, where your hands are trained to wage war and your fingers to do battle." This militant tone is reflected throughout the teachings of MFM, where it calls upon members to become aggressive Christians and some of the groups founded by MFM call themselves names such as the Prayer Warriors, the Territorial Intercessors and the God's Violent Army.
All women are required to wear skirts and head covers. Prayers tend to be repetitions of faith-based claims, spiritual decrees and commanding prayers often directly from Scriptures and proclaim that safety lies within Jesus Christ. Although prayers tend to be aggressive, it is noteworthy that the church preaches against resorting to physical violence, typically alluding to Paul's teachings on Christian warfare.
MFM and Law Suit
In 2017, the church had some legal battles with some former members and pastors in the United States as reported by online news agency Sahara Reporters. The case has since been settled in favour of the church.
- Udodiong, Inemesit. "Mountain Of Fire: 7 intriguing things about this popular church". Retrieved 2018-07-15.
- Udodiong, Inemesit. "Mountain of Fire and Miracles Ministries: 17 things you should know before getting married in this church". Retrieved 2017-02-25.
- "MFM coach: Rangers must fall in Lagos - New Telegraph Nigerian Newspaper". New Telegraph Nigerian Newspaper. 2017-02-24. Retrieved 2017-02-25.
- "MFM founder, Olukoya releases 40 prophecies for 2017". Daily Post Nigeria. 2017-01-01. Retrieved 2017-02-25.
- Tony Edike (11 October 2013). "Enugu demolishes Mountain of Fire & Miracles' church building". Vanguard. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-03-24. Retrieved 2009-04-18.