Muscle Shoals (film)
Muscle Shoals Theatrical Poster
|Directed by||Greg 'Freddy' Camalier|
|Edited by||Richard Lowe|
|Distributed by||Magnolia Pictures|
Muscle Shoals (2013) is an American documentary film about FAME Studios and Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. Directed by Greg 'Freddy' Camalier, the film was released by Magnolia Pictures on September 27, 2013. It features numerous recording artists as well as the staff and musicians associated with the studios.
- Gregg Allman
- Clarence Carter
- Jimmy Cliff
- Aretha Franklin (final film appearance)
- Donna Jean Godchaux
- Rick Hall
- Roger Hawkins
- David Hood
- Mick Jagger
- Etta James
- Jai Johanny Johanson
- Jimmy Johnson
- Alicia Keys
- Ed King
- Spooner Oldham
- Dan Penn
- Keith Richards
- Percy Sledge
- Candi Staton
- John Paul White
- Steve Winwood
- Wilson Pickett
Muscle Shoals has generally received positive reviews from critics. Katie Van Syckle of Rolling Stone remarked
"But the documentary’s real highlights are the musings of the musicians who recorded there. Performers including Aretha Franklin, Keith Richards, Mick Jagger, Jimmy Cliff, Ed King and Steve Winwood reflect on what went into creating the magical environment and the legendary recordings that it spawned. Artists were not only prolific in Colbert County, but their recordings were often infused with a recognizable sound Camalier describes as a "funky, soulful, propulsive kind of groove."
John DeFore of The Hollywood Reporter wrote, "The Next Must See Doc. A staple for Soul fans alongside 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown'." Film review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 97 % of critics gave the film a positive review based on 69 reviews with a "Certified Fresh" rating, with an average score of 7.6/10.
- Grand Prize, Boulder International Film Festival
- "Muscle Shoals (2013)". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. Retrieved 16 November 2013.
- Scherstuhl, Alan (25 September 2013). "Muscle Shoals Gives all the Mud, Spirit and Glory a Fresh Breath". The Village Voice.
- Van Syckle, Katie (24 January 2013). "Sundance Doc 'Muscle Shoals' Features Bono, Aretha, Rolling Stones". Rolling Stone.
- DeFore, John (23 January 2013). "Muscle Shoals: Sundance Review". The Hollywood Reporter.