|Common nase, C. nasus.|
Note mouth to the lower left of eye.
Chondrostoma (from the Ancient Greek roots χόνδρος (khondros, “lump”) + στόμα (stoma, “mouth”) = “lump-mouth”) is a genus of ray-finned fish in the family Cyprinidae. They are commonly known as nases, though this term is also used locally to denote particular species, most frequently the common nase (C. nasus). The common name refers to the protruding upper jaw of these fishes; it is derived from the German term Nase, meaning "nose."
It is commonly described as a native species in Slovenia rivers and canals, as for example in the Sava. By its close colours, fins and shape, it can be confused with the common roach (Rutilus rutilus).
In 2007 it was determined that the presumed monophyletic group consisted of six at least partly independent lineages of Leuciscinae, meaning that the rasping feeding apparatus evolved more than once. It was proposed to split the genus in six in consequence: Achondrostoma, Chondrostoma, Iberochondrostoma, Pseudochondrostoma, Protochondrostoma and Parachondrostoma. But at least Achondrostoma and Iberochondrostoma may not be separable.
There are currently 20 recognized species in this genus:
- Chondrostoma angorense Elvira, 1987
- Chondrostoma beysehirense Bogutskaya, 1997
- Chondrostoma colchicum Derjugin, 1899 (Colchic nase)
- Chondrostoma cyri Kessler, 1877 (Kura nase)
- Chondrostoma fahirae (Ladiges, 1960)
- Chondrostoma holmwoodii (Boulenger, 1896)
- Chondrostoma kinzelbachi Krupp, 1985
- Chondrostoma knerii Heckel, 1843
- Chondrostoma kubanicum L. S. Berg, 1914 (Kuban's nase)
- Chondrostoma meandrense Elvira, 1987
- Chondrostoma nasus (Linnaeus, 1758) (Common nase, sneep)
- Chondrostoma orientale Bianco & Bănărescu, 1982
- Chondrostoma oxyrhynchum Kessler, 1877 (Terek nase)
- Chondrostoma phoxinus Heckel, 1843 (Minnow-nase)
- Chondrostoma prespense S. L. Karaman, 1924
- Chondrostoma regium (Heckel, 1843)
- †Chondrostoma scodrense Elvira, 1987
- Chondrostoma soetta Bonaparte, 1840
- Chondrostoma vardarense S. L. Karaman, 1928
- Chondrostoma variabile Yakovlev, 1870 (Volga undermouth)
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2011). Species of Chondrostoma in FishBase. August 2011 version.
- Gante, Hugo F.; Santos, Carlos D. & Alves, Maria Judite (2007): A new species of Chondrostoma Agassiz, 1832 (Cypriniformes: Cyprinidae) with sexual dimorphism from the lower Rio Tejo Basin. Zootaxa 1616: 23–35. PDF abstract
- Robalo, J.I; Doadrio, I.; Valente, A. & Almada, V.C. (2008): Insights on speciation patterns in the genus Iberochondrostoma (Cyprinidae): Evidence from mitochondrial and nuclear data.