One Scotland Gazetteer
The One Scotland Gazetteer is the definitive national land, property and address dataset for Scotland that is published by Spatial Information Service within the Improvement Service. It is compiled using information from all 32 Scottish councils and produced to common standards and specification. It is not to be confused with the Royal Mail Postcode Address File (PAF) which is only a list of mail delivery locations.
The Improvement Service Spatial Information Service also manages Tellmescotland ( portal for accessing public information notices issued by local authorities across Scotland) and the Spatial Hub - which compiles and publishes other local authority spatial datasets.
In 2000, the Scottish Executive (now Scottish Government) set up a Modernising Government Fund to improve public services. In 2002 a proposal was made around Definitive National Addressing for Scotland (DNA Scotland), with all 32 Scottish councils involved. The project was aimed at producing common standards and to establish corporate address gazetteers within each local authority. The gazetteer began in 2003 as the National Gazetteer for Scotland. In 2007 it was re-named to 'One Scotland Gazetteer' and was relaunched with a refreshed website design in late 2017.
The One Scotland Gazetteer is used by the wider Scottish public sector inc.for eDevelopment (Planning & Building Standards), The Energy Saving Trust (for energy performance certificates) and for the National Landlord Registration Scheme.
Local Authorities have statutory obligations in regard to planning, building standards and street naming and numbering in Scotland They are the source of definitive address information in their local government area and also the source of any change intelligence about land or property.
The INSPIRE Directive of the European Union came into force in 2007, which introduced formal requirements around Spatial data infrastructure, which the Scottish Parliament then legislated for in 2009.
Data from the One Scotland Gazetteer comples with the BS7666 standard.
- "Modernising Government Fund: Round 1: Final Report" (PDF). Scottish Executive. November 2003. p. 29. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Easton, Cameron. "One Scotland: One Geography" (PDF). European Commission. Retrieved 19 February 2017.
- "Public Sector: Public Service Reform: Efficiency and Transformational: Government: Shared Services: Case Study 7". Scottish Government. 14 July 2011. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "AddressBase products". www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-11-02.
- "EU INSPIRE Directive". Improvement Service. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Catalogues: data.gov.uk: One Scotland Gazetteer". European Data Portal. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
|This article related to government in Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|