Theatrical film poster
|Directed by||Luke Sparke|
|Written by||Luke Sparke|
|Music by||Christopher Elves|
|Distributed by||Pinnacle Films|
Occupation is an Australian science fiction action film, directed and written by Luke Sparke, with additional dialogue by Felix Williamson. The film was produced by Carly Imrie and Carmel Imrie of Sparke Films.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2018)
The story follows a group of civilians who form a home grown resistance army after their small Australian country town is annihilated by an extraterrestrial force. Together they form the human rebellion in a battle for the planet and the survival of the human race.
- Dan Ewing – Matt Simmons
- Temuera Morrison – Peter Bartlett
- Rhiannon Fish – Vanessa
- Stephanie Jacobsen – Amelia Chambers
- Trystan Go – Marcus Chambers
- Zachary Garred – Dennis
- Felix Williamson – Seth
- Izzy Stevens – Bella Bartlett
- Charles Mesure – Arnold
- Charlie Terrier – Jackson
- Jacqueline McKenzie – Colonel Grant
- Aaron Jeffery – Major Davis
- Bruce Spence
Occupation is independently financed by SparkeFilms. The film was written, cast and financed in only six months. The film was cast solely by the producers, whom negotiated the roles with each individual agent in order to keep the film as universal as possible.
Filming and Locations
The six week shoot took place between May 2017 to July 2017, with locations in both the Gold Coast and Northern NSW.
The film utilised over 150 locals as extras for the scenes involving the Australian rules match between the Kookaburras and the Drop Bears at Murwillumbah Showgrounds. Actors Temuera Morrison and Charles Mesure interacted with the extras at dinner during filming; telling stories, singing with them and thanking them for supporting local Australian Cinema.
Post Production wrapped in the beginning of 2018, with the post houses: Byron Bay-based Cumulus VFX, Vancouver's CVD VFX and the UK'S Nvisible providing the VFX.
Occupation had its world premiere at the Ritz Cinema in Randwick on 10 July 2018. It was then released Australia wide on 12 July. The film was released in the USA on 20 July 2018.
On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds a critic approval rating of 38%, based on 16 reviews with an average rating of 4.8/10. The general audience approval rating on the same site is much higher at 96% (Average Rating: 4/5 in 1,629 ratings). 
- Graves, Don (18 January 2018). "Luke Sparke's 'Occupation' sold to multiple territories before Oz release". Inside Film. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- Keslassy, Elsa (18 February 2018). "Saban Films Acquires North American Rights to Luke Sparke's 'Occupation'". Variety. Penske Business Media. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- "Occupation The Movie Official". Official Website.
- "Luke Sparke's 'Occupation' sold to multiple territories before Oz release". IF Magazine. 2018-01-18. Retrieved 2018-07-23.
- "Occupation (2018)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 17 September 2018.