||This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Ocean Tomo is an intellectual property merchant bank that provides financial products and services, including expert testimony, valuation, research, ratings, investments, risk management, and transactions. They are headquartered in Chicago, IL, USA. They also have offices in Greenwich, San Francisco and Houston. Subsidiaries include Ocean Tomo Risk Management, LLC, Ocean Tomo Asset Management, LLC, OTI Data Networks, LLC, Patent Marking, LLC, and Ocean Tomo Capital, LLC. In addition, Ocean Tomo is the founder of the Intellectual Property Exchange International (IPXI). Their current Chairman and CEO is James E. Malackowski.
Ocean Tomo introduced the world's first public auctions of patents, trademarks and copyrights. The auctions have also included business method patents and the rights to Jimi Hendrix's music recordings. In 2009, the Ocean Tomo transactions division was acquired by ICAP through a newly created company, ICAP Ocean Tomo, later renamed ICAP Patent Brokerage. Senior members of that Ocean Tomo transaction division now lead ICAP Patent Brokerage.
Intellectual property stock index
Ocean Tomo has also pioneered the first stock index based on corporations whose overall market value is in large part due to the value of their patent portfolios. The index is called the "Ocean Tomo 300 Patent Index". The index starts with the 1,000 most liquid securities on U.S. exchanges. Patent-owning companies in this group are divided into 50 style and size groups and ranked by patent value (divined by OT's proprietary PatentRatings® patent valuation system) divided by book value. The six highest ranking securities in each group are selected and weighted by market capitalization. The ranking system assumes that the patent's value is related to its owner's willingness to pay patent maintenance fees. The system reviews 53 factors in a patent document to estimate whether a patent would be renewed. An ETF based on this index trades on AMEX.
- James E. Malackowski | Ocean Tomo
- "Ocean Tomo". Retrieved 2008-04-15.
- Ocean Tomo IP Auctions
- Lattman, Peter (Oct 27, 2006). "Jimi Hendrix Steals the Show At Intellectual Property Auction". Wall Street Journal. Dow Jones & Company. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "Ocean Tomo". Ocean Tomo. Retrieved 2008-04-15.
- State of Delaware, Secretary of State, Division of Corporations. Certificate of Amendment to the Certificate of Formation. Filed 1 April 2011, 4:50PM
- Ku, Daisy (Jun 16, 2009). "UPDATE 1-UK's ICAP buys patent broker Tomo for $10 mln". Reuters. Reuters. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Wild, Joff (June 16, 2009). "Ocean Tomo sells IP transactions group". IAM Magazine. Globe Business Publishing. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- Ocean Tomo 300(tm) Patent Index
- Sipress, Alan (2007-05-06). "Ocean Tomo Catches the Wave in Valuing Intellectual Property". Washington Post. pp. F03. Retrieved 2008-12-10.
- US 6556992, Barney, Jonathan A. & Barney, James R., "Method and system for rating patents and other intangible assets", published 2003-04-29 .