This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Original author(s)||Gerald Evenden|
5.0.0 / March 1, 2018
PROJ.4 (or proj) is a library for performing conversions between cartographic projections. The library is based on the work of Gerald Evenden at the USGS, but is now an OSGeo project maintained by Howard Butler. The library also ships with executables for performing these transformations from the command line.
The first release of proj was developed by Gerald Evenden in the early 1980s as a Ratfor program. It was based on the General Cartographic Transformation Package or GCTP, which consisted of Fortran subroutines that could be used to project geographic data. The second release of proj from 1985 was rewritten in C to run on UNIX systems. The third release of proj from 1990, named PROJ.3, was expanded to support approximately 70 cartographic projections. Evenden further developed a fourth release in 1994, named PROJ.4, which is the current name of the software. The last version maintained by Evenden was 4.3, released on September 24, 1995.
After over four years of inactivity, Frank Warmerdam became the new maintainer and released version 4.4 on March 21, 2000. As of May 2008, PROJ.4 become part of the MetaCRS project, a confederation of coordinate systems related projects under incubation with OSGeo.
In February 2018, the PROJ.4 product became PROJ, as it reaches the major version 5. As Kristian Evers says on email@example.com :
- The PROJ.4 project provides the product PROJ, which is now at version 5.0.0. - The foundational component of PROJ is the library libproj. - Other PROJ components include the application proj, which provides a command line interface to libproj. - The PROJ.4 project also distributes the datum-grid package, which at the time of writing is at version 1.6.0.
This is a List of Versions from 4.3.3 onward extracted from pj_release.c.
|Version||Release date||Projection count||ErrorNumMin|
- GDAL a library that provides a single abstract data model for geospatial data formats which uses PROJ.4 to perform coordinate transformations.
- Evers, Kristian (2018-03-01). "Proj 5.0.0 Released". proj (Mailing list). Retrieved 2018-03-01.
- Evenden, Gerald I. (2003-01-01) . Cartographic Projection Procedures for the UNIX Environment—A User's Manual (PDF). Open-File Report 90-284. U.S. Geological Survey. p. 64. Retrieved 2015-08-14.
- Evenden, Gerald I. (1983). Forward and inverse cartographic projection procedures. Open-File Report 83-625. U.S. Geological Survey. p. 76. Retrieved 2015-08-14.
- Evenden, Gerald I.; Botbol, J.M. (1985). User's manual for MAPGEN (UNIX version); a method of transforming digital cartographic data to a map. Open-File Report 85-706. U.S. Geological Survey. p. 140. Retrieved 2015-08-14.
|Wikibooks has more on the topic of: PROJ.4|