Peter J. Freyd
|Peter J. Freyd|
|Born||February 5, 1936 (age 80)
|Institutions||University of Pennsylvania|
|Known for||Freyd–Mitchell theorem
Peter J. Freyd (born February 5, 1936, in Evanston, Illinois) is an American mathematician, a professor at the University of Pennsylvania, known for work in category theory and for founding the False Memory Syndrome Foundation.
Freyd is perhaps best known for the Adjoint functor Theorem. He was the author of the foundational book Abelian Categories: An Introduction to the Theory of Functors. This work culminates in a proof of the Freyd-Mitchell embedding theorem. See also p. 278 of Herrlich & Strecker citation on Categorical Topology. In addition, Freyd's name is associated with the HOMFLYPT polynomial of knot theory, and he and Scedrov originated the concept of (mathematical) allegories.
False Memory Syndrome Foundation
- Ph.D. Princeton University 1960.
- Peter J. Freyd, Abelian Categories, an Introduction to the Theory of Functors. Harper & Row (1964). Available online.
- Peter J. Freyd and Andre Scedrov: Categories, Allegories. North-Holland (1999). ISBN 0-444-70368-3.
- Freyd Peter J (1999). "Path Integrals, Bayesian Vision, and Is Gaussian Quadrature Really Good?". Electr. Notes Theor. Comput. Sci. 29.
- Freyd Peter J.; O'Hearn Peter W.; Power A. John; Takeyama Makoto; Street R.; Tennent Robert D. (1999). "Bireflectivity". Theor. Comput. Sci. 228 (1–2): 49–76.
- American Men and Women of Science, Thompson Gale, 2005
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2012-12-29.
- Diana E. H. Russell. The Secret Trauma: Incest in the Lives of Girls and Women. Basic Books, 1987. xx–xxi.
- Freyd, J. (1996) Betrayal Trauma: The Logic of Forgetting Child Abuse. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. The history of the confrontations between the Freyds and their daughter Jennifer is recounted in the Afterword, pages 197–199.
- "One family's tragedy spawns national group", The Baltimore Sun, September 12, 1994. Available on the web at Skeptic Files
- Linton, F. E. J. (1965). "Review of Abelian categories: an introduction to the theory of functors by Peter Freyd" (PDF). Bull. Amer. Math. Soc. 71 (4): 577–580. doi:10.1090/s0002-9904-1965-11342-8.
- Peter J. Freyd at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Printable versions of Abelian categories, an introduction to the theory of functors.
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|