Peeter van Bredael
Pieter van Bredael or Peeter van Bredael (other name variations: Peter van Breda, Peter van Bredael) (1629 –1719) was a Flemish painter specializing in market scenes and village feasts set in Italianate landscapes or contemporary, usually, urban environments.
Pieter van Bredael was born in Antwerp in 1629. He reportedly was working in the workshop of David Ryckaert III around 1640. He undertook several travels abroad. It is known he travelled to Spain. Although there is no evidence for a stay in Italy, the inclusion in his landscapes of ruins of architecture from the environs of Rome points to a possible visit to Italy. Upon his return to Antwerp in 1648 he married An Veldener, the daughter of the sculptor Jennyn Veldener. The couple had eight children of whom three, Jan Peeter the Elder, Alexander and Joris became painters. Several of his grand-children such as Joseph van Bredael, Jan Pieter van Bredael the Younger and Jan Frans van Bredael became painters.
He died in Antwerp where he was buried on 9 March 1719.
He mainly painted Roman cattle markets amidst a landscape of buildings, often ruins from Antiquity, Italian pastoral landscapes and less often battle pieces. He also depicted genre scenes such as village festivals, processions and a commedia del’arte scene.
He worked as a copyist and is known to have copied battle scenes of the Dutch painter Philips Wouwerman. A drawing of an Equestrian Battle in the Mauritshuis has been attributed to van Bredael as being a copy after Wouwerman.
- Peeter van Bredael at the Netherlands Institute for Art History (Dutch)
- Peter van Breda Biography in: Arnold Houbraken, De groote schouburgh der Nederlantsche konstschilders en schilderessen, 1718 (Dutch)
- Armelle Baron, Pierre Baron, L'art dentaire à travers la peinture, www.acr-edition.com, 1 Jan, 1986, p. 232 (French)
- Cornelis de Bie, Het Gulden Cabinet, p 381 (Dutch)
- Pierre Van Bredael, in: Biographie Nationale Tome 2, p. 914-917 (French)
- Walther Bernt, The Netherlandish painters of the seventeenth century, Volume 1, Phaidon, 1970, p. 19
- Alexander van Bredael, Cattle Market in Antwerp at the vads
- Annemarie Stefes , Niederländische Zeichnungen 1450-1800: Tafeln, Böhlau Verlag, Köln Weimar, 2011, p. 140 (German)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peeter van Bredael.|