Popin' Pete in China, 2011
|Born||Timothy Earl Solomon|
August 5, 1961
Timothy Earl Solomon (born August 5, 1961), known as Popin' Pete , is an American dancer, choreographer, innovator, one of the originators of the "popping" dance style and member of the Electric Boogaloos. Pete’s career has spanned over thirty years since the emerging of popping dance to developing funk culture as a whole.
Being inspired by his older brother, “Boogaloo” Sam Solomon, who by that time had already mastered all existing street dance styles, Pete would always watch Sam dance and learn from him . Around the years 1975-1976 Sam created the popping & boogaloo styles of dance. He developed a set of basic movements and founded The Electric Boogaloos. The group is responsible for the creation of the dance known worldwide as "popping".
The Electric Boogaloos
Popin’ Pete is a first generation member of The Electric Boogaloos, joining the group in 1978, Pete began to learn the popping style. According to Pete, he learned to pop first because boogaloo was too difficult. Boogaloo Sam as a creator of the group taught basics to the members of The Electric Boogaloos. As all the members were very experienced and passionate dancers, the group soon became successful. During that time, Pete and the other members of The Electric Boogaloos appeared on many popular shows including: The Midnight Special, Kicks and Soul Train in the United States. (firstly in 1980).
Relationship with Michael Jackson
In 1982, Michael Jackson, after seeing their Soul Train performance, approached members of The Electric Boogaloos to choreograph both the "Thriller" and "Beat It" videos. Their relationship with Jackson spanned almost two decades working in various roles — from numerous music videos (e.g. "Beat It", Captain EO & Michael Jackson's Ghosts) to multimedia movies, live performances, choreography, and lessons.
Popin' Pete in Chris Brown's "Yeah 3x"
One scene in "Yeah 3x" is dedicated to Popin' Pete who dances with Chris Brown at a storefront labeled "Popin Pete's" . Pete and Brown do a dance routine which was choreographed by Pete. Then they each go on with short dance solos.
Popin’ Pete in funk culture
Popin Pete has gone on to innovate styles/moves like crazy legs, ET, spider man and sleepy style. With Electric Boogaloos he performs on the most authoritative scenes spreading American funkstyles culture all over the world, working alongside some of this generation's most dedicated and hard working music artists. Artists such as: Justin Timberlake, Gwen Stefani, Mýa, The Black Eyed Peas and Janet Jackson etc.
For 35 years Popin Pete and the Electric Boogaloos have been developing funkstyles in the world. Popin Pete is invited as a judge to the dance competitions ("battles") in United Kingdom (UK Bboy Championship, Breakin' Convention), Europe, Japan (Dance Delight Japan, Old School Night), South Korea, China (Keep on dancing) etc. He is considered to be influential figure in street-dance culture. His students from the United States, Canada, UK, Europe, Brazil, Japan, China, South Korea, Russia call him "living legend". On January 25, 2012 the Electric Boogaloos were presented with special Life Time Achievement Award at The Carnival: Choreographer’s Ball 13 Year Anniversary Show.[dead link]
- "Interview with Popin' Pete & Mr. Wiggles Monsters of Hip Hop". www.webcitation.org. January 2007. Archived from the original on May 28, 2010.
- "History of Popping. Rebel dancers". Archived from the original on September 17, 2012. Retrieved June 8, 2012.
- "Breaking Down. Old-guard hip-hop dancers return to Times Square". The village voice. October 26, 2004.
- "ELECTRIC BOOGALOOS - NO PROGRAMA SOUL TRAIN EM 1980". Youtube.com.
- "Intelligent Movement: Electric Boogaloos & UK Guests". breakinconvention.com. Breakin' Convention.
- "Michael Jackson Podcast - The Electric Boogaloos". michaeljackson.com. Archived from the original on January 28, 2013. Retrieved March 26, 2012.
- "Chris BrownYeah 3x". youtube.com.
- "Popin Pete - Popping Judge Solo - BBoy Championships 2010". YOUTUBE.COM.
- "Popin Pete". breakinconvention.com.
- "JAPAN DANCE DELIGHT VOL.17 FINAL". dancedelight.net.
- "Old School Night 10 Poppin PETE". YOUTUBE.COM.
- "Keep On Dancing - KOD - 8 China Finals Battle Teaser". YOUTUBE.COM.
- "Popping Technique Catalogue". dancemasterz.net.
- "The History of Canada's StreetScape".
- "Carnival Celebrates Its 13th Anniversary With a Sold Out House and Show Stopping Performances". theindustryvoiceonline.com.
- Popin Pete official homepage
- versions available between May 2013 and October 2016 via archive.org (captures after October 2016 do not represent original content)
- The Electric Boogaloos official homepage
- versions available between May 1999 and November 2011 via archive.org (captures after November 2011 do not represent original content)
- on YouTube
- on YouTube