Proctor District, Tacoma, Washington
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Nestled in Tacoma's North End, the Proctor District is home to many unique, family-owned small businesses. The Blue Mouse Theatre, built in 1923, is the oldest continuously operating movie theater in Washington and is open seven days a week. The Blue Mouse celebrated its 90th birthday on November 12, 2013 and has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 2010.
The center of the Proctor District is located at the cross streets of Proctor Street and North 26th Street in Tacoma. The 1927 Proctor Street bridge just north of the district was rebuilt in 2006.
A major commercial and residential development, Proctor Station, has been a controversial project due to its size and cost. It offers retail on the ground floor with apartments in the five floors above that. A proposed similar project at the other end of the Proctor District promises to be more controversial with many local residents formed in opposition and attempting to lower the height limitation from 65 feet to 45 feet, a move developers oppose as it will limit the profitability of the project.
Schools and Churches
The Proctor District is the site of two public schools (Washington-Hoyt Elementary School and Mason Middle School), and the Tacoma Waldorf School. It has a public library (Anna Lemon Wheelock Public Library), and a church, the Mason United Methodist Church, as well as a number of charitable organizations.
Charitable Organizations and Community Services
Mason United Methodist Church hosts several services for the public:
- Alcoholics Anonymous[permanent dead link] meets daily
- Puget Sound Debtors Anonymous[permanent dead link] meets every Tuesday from 6-8pm.
- The Northwest FISH Food Bank[permanent dead link] is open on Wednesdays (12-4pm) and Saturdays (11:30 am-3pm)
Safe Place for Newborns Fire House 13 is a designated Safe Place for Newborns.
Proctor hosts a farmers' market, the second largest in the city, which runs from the last weekend in March through the second-to-last weekend in December on Saturdays.
- "Proctor neighbors wary of second 6-story apartment building". thenewstribune. Retrieved 2017-12-25.
- Tacoma Discovery Shop is located at Great West Division 2512 North Proctor Tacoma, WA 98406 Telephone: 253.759.2823
- Washington State law allows a parent to leave their unharmed newborn, up to 3 days old, with an employee at any hospital, staffed fire station or Federal Designated rural health clinic in the state during its hours of operation. Website: http://www.safeplacefornewbornswa.org/aboutus/aboutus.html Archived 2015-04-08 at the Wayback Machine Telephone:1-877-440-2229 Coordinates:Latitide: 47° 16' 13.4" (47.2704°) north Longitude: 122° 29' 18.9" (122.4886°) west Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Proctor Association Website
- City of Tacoma
- North End Neighborhood Council
- Neighborhood Tacoma Business Districts - Proctor Business District
- Mason United Methodist Church
- Proctor Farmers Market
- Proctor District Store Directory
- Labor Negotiator