Orchestre Symphonique de Québec
The Orchestre symphonique de Québec (OSQ; English, Quebec Symphony Orchestra) is a Canadian symphony orchestra based in Quebec City. Founded in 1902 as the Société symphonique de Québec, the OSQ is the oldest active Canadian orchestra. Joseph Vézina was the OSQ's first music director, from 1902 to 1924. In 1942 the orchestra merged with rival orchestra Cercle philharmonique de Québec (founded 1936), at which time it changed its name to the Orchestre Symphonique de Québec.
The orchestra holds an annual competition for young Quebec musicians awarding monetary prizes as well as the opportunity to perform as a soloist with the orchestra. The orchestra also performs with the Théâtre lyrique du Québec (Théâtre lyrique de Nouvelle-France), the (defunct) Opéra du Québec, the Opéra de Québec, and the Choeur symphonique de Québec.
The most recent Canadian music director of the OSQ was Françoys Bernier from 1966-1968. The most recent music director was Yoav Talmi, from 1998 to 2011. In December 2011, the OSQ announced the appointment of Fabien Gabel as its 11th music director, as of the 2012–2013 season, with an initial contract of 4 years.
- Joseph Vézina (1902-1924 until his death)
- Robert Talbot (1924-1942)
- Edwin Bélanger (1942-1951)
- Wilfrid Pelletier (1951-1966)
- Françoys Bernier (1966-1968)
- Pierre Dervaux (1968-1975)
- James DePreist (1976-1983)
- Simon Streatfeild (July 1983-1991)
- Pascal Verrot (1991-1998)
- Yoav Talmi (July 1998-2011)
- Fabien Gabel (designate, from 2012)
- Wilfrid Edge (1902-1903)
- J.-Alexandre Gilbert (1903-1934)
- Alphonse Saint-Hilaire (1934-1936)
- Antoine Montreuil (1936-1937)
- Jules Payment (1937-1938)
- Gilbert Darisse (1938-1960)
- Stuart Fastofki (1960-1963)
- Jean-Louis Rousseau (1963)
- Hidetaro Suzuki (1963-1977)
- Malcolm Lowe (1977-1983)
- Liliane Garnier-Lesage (1983-1986)
- Jean Angers (1986-1987)
- Darren Lowe (1987–presently on leave)
- Catherine Dallaire (by interim, 2019-present)
- Roger Matton: Mouvement symphonique I - Lekeu Adagio pour quatuor d'orchestre, Opus 3 - Milhaud Suite provençale. James DePreist conductor. Hidetaro Suzuki concertmaster. 1977. RCI 454/(Matton) 5-ACM 29
- Music of the Magical Realism, vol 2: Denys Bouliane Le Cactus rieur et la demoiselle qui souffrait d'une soif insatiable. Streatfeild conductor. 1991. SNE 567 (CD)
- André Prévost Le Conte de l'Oiseau - Haydn Toy Symphony. Berryman and Besré narrator, Duschenes conductor. 1984. SNE 518/(Prévost) 6-ACM 28
- El Cuento del Pajaro - Haydn Toy Symphony. Rodriguez and Barris narrator, Duschenes conductor. 1984. SNE 519
- The Tale of the Bird - Haydn Toy Symphony. Henry and Monette narrator, Duschenes conductor. 1983. SNE 505
- Dancing for 100 years (works by Bartók, Brahms, Champagne, François Dompierre and Antonín Dvořák. Yoav Talmi, conductor; Darren Lowe, violin. 2002. Analekta fl. FL 2 3156.
- André Mathieu's Concerto de Québec - Richard Addinsell's Warsaw Concerto - George Gershwin's Concerto in F. Yoav Talmi conductor, Alain Lefèvre piano. 2003. Analekta. AN 2 9814.
- Arthur Kaptainis (3 April 2010). "There's no shortage of Canadian talent to succeed Talmi as musical director of Quebec City orchestra". Montreal Gazette. Archived from the original on 9 June 2012. Retrieved 2010-04-06.
- "L'Orchestre symphonique de Québec accueille son nouveau directeur musical: Fabien Gabel" (PDF) (Press release). Orchestre Symphonique de Québec. 1 December 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on 31 December 2013. Retrieved 2012-01-08.