Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj
|Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj|
|Institute||Science of Spirituality/Sawan Kirpal Ruhani Mission|
|Born||20 September 1946
|Spouse||Mata Rita Ji|
|Parents||Sant Darshan Singh Ji Maharaj, Mata Harbhajan Kaur Ji|
|Based in||Chicago, USA and Delhi, India|
|Predecessor||Sant Darshan Singh Ji Maharaj|
|Present post||Spiritual Master|
Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj (20 September 1946 in Delhi, India) is the head of the international non-profit organisation Science of Spirituality (SOS), known in India as the Sawan Kirpal Ruhani Mission. To his disciples he is known as Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj. SOS has hundreds of thousands of followers worldwide and is an interfaith spiritual path based on Sant Mat. Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj is internationally recognized for his work toward promoting inner and outer peace through spirituality and teaching meditation on the inner Light and Sound.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Awards and honors
- 3 Speeches and activities
- 4 Publications
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Life and career
Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj earned his Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) Madras, India  and his Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering from IIT (Illinois Institute of Technology) in Chicago, Illinois. He received his spiritual education from two of India’s leading spiritual Masters: Sant Kirpal Singh Ji Maharaj (1894–1974) and Sant Darshan Singh Ji Maharaj (1921–1989). His training in both disciplines has helped him express age-old mystical teachings in clear, logical language. Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj had a distinguished twenty-year career in science, computers, and communications.
Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj has said, "One of the greatest benefits of meditation is that we will not only have peace in our own homes, but will contribute to the peace of the world. Throughout the world, people are praying for peace. But, as the expression goes, charity begins at home. World peace can only become a reality when each of us individually has peace in our own circles. If we bring peace into our individual spheres, the effect will be cumulative, and it will contribute to world peace.”
In 2000, Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj was part of a delegation of hundreds of world religious leaders who traveled to New York for the Millennium World Peace Summit of Religious and Spiritual Leaders, "an event unusual for its religious diversity and for its having convened at the United Nations," according to the New York Times. Singh told the Times, "When we sit and talk with them [leaders of other religions], we realize they are not much different".
As founder of Darshan Education Foundation, Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj has established Darshan Academy throughout India (schools that teach students from Pre-K—12). Integrating both meditation and a spiritual curriculum into a traditional academic environment, the foundation's goal is two-fold: first, to produce students whose spiritual potential is developed along with their intellect and physical well-being; and second, to inspire in each student a global view of the world, unobstructed by distinctions of race, nationality, religion, or economic status.
Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj was President of the 16th International World Human Unity Conference in 1998.
Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj emphasizes the fundamental unity and harmony of all religions. He says his aim is to "take the mystery out of mysticism, to help people put mysticism into action in their own lives. By doing so, they will help themselves as well as those around them attain bliss and universal love." He emphasizes meditation as the basis for peace. As Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj has said, "Within us is a divine spirit from which our intelligence and wisdom is derived. The process of accessing that inner divine spirit, intelligence, and wisdom is called meditation; if we transform knowledge to wisdom by meditating and experiencing the driving force behind all existence, then we have the key to human unity. This experience will transform our individual life and the lives of those around us. These individual transformations will ultimately bring unity and peace at the community, national, and global levels." (From a speech, "Moral Dimensions of Leadership" given to the United States Coast Guard Academy)
Meditation is a process by which a practitioner comes in contact with the Light and Sound of God already within themselves. The spiritual Masters of Science of Spirituality teach that (1) the divine current of Light and Sound reverberates in all creation; (2) by meditating on this current one can transcend physical body-consciousness and begin a journey into the inner spiritual regions; and (3) with the help and guidance of a spiritual Master, this journey ultimately culminates in God-realization and the merger of the soul with the Over-soul or God.  In the Times of India, Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj states, “Human beings are blessed with a special faculty to gain spiritual knowledge. That opportunity is offered to every human being but few make use of it. One needs to meditate to make full use of the gift.”
Science and spirituality
The method of meditation taught by Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj is called a science because it can be practiced by people of all cultures. In this method, aspirants perform the experiment of meditation within their own selves. By doing so, the practitioner can have a firsthand inner experience of spiritual Light and Sound, affirming that there is something that lies beyond this physical world.
In his address given to students and faculty at IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) Mumbai, Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj states: “Science and spirituality make a great partnership. If those engaged in science spend time in the silence of their selves, inspiration will come and lead them to the answers they seek. If those interested in spirituality apply the scientific law of testing a hypothesis in the laboratories of their own bodies, they will find results. Each person is capable of success in proving spiritual truths. Such pursuits can make the world a better place as well as uncover the purpose of our lives.”
Awards and honors
Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj has received a number of awards and honors.
- "Peace Award" by the Temple of Understanding and the Interfaith Center of New York, June 1997.
- Award by the City Council of San Ramon, California, 2010."
- "The Medal of Cultural Merit" from the National Minister of Education, Bogotá, Colombia.
- Exemplary Service to Humanity Award from the State of New York, September 2012
- Illinois Institute of Technology Distinguished Leadership Award, Chicago, Illinois
- Award from the President of the State of Mexico, November 2008
- Simón Bolívar Award (Condecoracion Oficial Simon Bolivar) presented by the Minister of Education of Colombia at the Ministry of Education, in Bogotá
Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj has received five honorary doctorates from various universities around the world in recognition of his work to introduce spirituality into science and education, and for his work toward human integration.
Speeches and activities
Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj has been invited to deliver keynotes and talks at various conferences through the years.
At the United Nations Headquarters, New York (May 2016), in his keynote address, he explained how meditation on the inner Light and Sound can lead to inner peace, which paves the way to building bridges of unity, love, and outer peace in the world. At the Millennium World Peace Summit of Religious and Spiritual Leaders, United Nations, New York City, New York (August 2000), in his address entitled “Nature of Forgiveness and Compassion” Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj stated: “Spirituality is the recognition that behind our outer names and labels, we are souls, a part of one Creator. . . . When we develop this vision we no longer see through the eyes of prejudice and discrimination.”. He also shared a speech at the UN celebration for Secretary General Kofi Annan.
At the United States Coast Guard Academy (USCGA), New London, Connecticut (November 1999), addressing the members of the academy in his talk “Moral Leadership for the 21st Century,” Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj provided a blueprint for successful leadership.
At the Sixth Assembly of the World Conference on Religion and Peace, in Riva del Garde, Italy (November 1994), in this talk “Curing the World’s Pain,” Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj stated: “To heal the world, we must heal ourselves. To bring peace to the world, we must have peace ourselves. We can attain this through meditation.”
Addresses to academic and medical institutions
- He lectured at Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts on Inner and Outer Communication (November 1996)."
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences (February 2002)
- University of California, Berkeley (September 1999)
- National Institute of Health (NIH), Washington, D.C (July 1993)
Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj is the inspiration behind Veggie Fest, the largest vegetarian food and lifestyle festival in North America. Co-sponsored by the Science of Spirituality and over 30 vendors, the festival celebrates the many benefits and joys of a vegetarian lifestyle. It is held in Lisle/Naperville, Illinois.In 2016, Veggie Fest celebrated its 11th year, launching its largest festival to date: Over 800 volunteers from around the world welcomed tens of thousands of visitors during its two-day program.Each year, participants attend a multi-faceted which includes: an international food court; vendor tents and food demos from noted area chefs; live music, a blood donation drive; a “Take the Vegetarian Challenge” tent, and a “Take the Meditation Challenge” tent. 
Visitors can also attend the “Spirituality & Health Symposium” where doctors and health practitioners speak throughout the day on different aspects of the vegetarian diet and its impact on one’s physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual well being. Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj delivers the Keynote on both days.
Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj’s books and articles are available in over fifty languages. Some of his major publications include:
- 2016 Building Bridges through Meditation
- 2012 Meditation as Medication for the Soul ISBN 0918224721
- 1999 Empowering Your Soul Through Meditation ISBN 0-00-716149-2
- 1996 Inner and Outer Peace Through Meditation ISBN 1-85230-949-0
- "Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj Inspires Thousands In New York Region". The Universal News Network. 17 May 2016.
- Peter Bernard Clarke (2006). "Radhasoami Movements". Encyclopedia of New Religious Movements. Psychology Press.
- Fisher, Mary Pat (1997). Living Religions: An Encyclopedia of the World's Faiths. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: I.B.Tauris. ISBN 9781860641480.
- Staff writer. "Indian Institute of Technology Madras alumni". India Times. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- Michael Ko (8 October 1999). "Meditating on God". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- tree, speaking. "Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj Master". www.speakingtree.in. speakingtree.
- Gustav Niebuhr (1 September 2000). "World's Religious Figures Sign a Pledge for Peace". New York Times. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- Noble, Barnes &. "Inner and Outer Peace Through Meditation". Barnes & Noble. Radiance.
- Bulletin, India. HH Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj’s book tops Barnes and Noble Top Bestsellers. India Bulletin.
- Times, The South Asian (25 Feb 2017). "All India Inter Darshan Academy Sports Meet 2017". The South Asian Times.
- "Letter to Kofi Annan". United Nations. 28 May 1997. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- Mary Pat Fisher (1997). Living Religions: An Encyclopedia of the World's Faiths. I.B.Tauris.
- Diane Dassow (30 December 1996). "Group proposes a simple way to discover inner, outer peace". Daily Herald. Arlington Heights, IL. Retrieved 20 November 2012.
- times, thesouthasian (September 8–14, 2012). "thesouthasiantimes.info". http://thesouthasiantimes.info/ (NEW YORK EDITION): 16. External link in
- India, Times of. "Give Thanks: It's Part of Spiritual Evolvement - Times of India". The Times of India. Times of India: The Best of Speaking Tree.
- Positive, Life. "Reaching the celestial light within". www.lifepositive.com.
- Singh, Rajinder (2005). Silken thread of the divine. Naperville, IL: SK Publications. p. 111. ISBN 0-918224-48-9.
- Anonymous. "Peace Award For Spiritualist". News India – Times [New York, N.Y] 20 June 1997: 31. Quote: "Sant Ranjinder Singh Ji Maharaj, spiritual head of Science of Spirituality/Sawan Kirpal Ruhani Mission, was presented earlier this month Peace Award by the Temple of Understanding and the Interfaith Center of New York. He also lectured at Harvard University November 1996 on Inner and Outer Communication."
- Pearl Driver. "Meditation the Way to Peace: Sant Rajinder Singh Ji." India – West [San Leandro, Calif] 7 September 2010, Vol. 35 Issue 33, pB1-B20.
- "Cultural Center of The I.R.Iran - New delhi - News > Seminar on “ Building Bridges Through Education”". newdelhi.icro.ir.
- 2012, newhub (6 March 2017). "From a Scientist to a Saint: Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj". Daily News Updates - Newhub2012.
- Asian Times, The South (November 14, 2008). "Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj receives an award from the 56th Legislature of the State of Mexico and the president of the State of Mexico, Juan Carlos Nunez-Armas, in recognition for his contribution to world peace,” p. 12". The South Asian Times, August, 2009 (Vol. 1, No. 55):.
- "World Leader of Peace Comes to Cali, El Tiempo, Cali-Valle" (Wednesday). Staff Writer, “World Leader of Peace Comes to Cali, El Tiempo, Cali-Valle. 25 November 1998.
- "When Springtime Comes". The Edge Magazine.
- Tribune, The. "The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - NCR stories". www.tribuneindia.com.
- www.occto.cz, www.zserver.cz,. "Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj – lectures | The Reconnection". www.eric-pearl.cz.
- Panorama, TheIndian. "Indian Spiritual Master Sant Rajinder Singh says at the UN: “Meditation is Medication for the Soul” | The Indian Panorama". www.theindianpanorama.news. theindianpanorama.
- Live, IANS. "Sant Rajinder Singh steals show at UN". IANS Live. IANS Live.
- Nation, United. "Inspirational talk by H. H. Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj 'Meditation As Medication For the Soul'". webtv.un.org. webtv.un.org.
- Niebuhr, Gustav (1 September 2000). "World's Religious Figures Sign a Pledge for Peace". The New York Times. The New York Times.
- Peace Summit, Millennium. "The World Council of Religious Leaders". www.millenniumpeacesummit.org. millenniumpeacesummit.
- Asian Times, The South. "Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj speaks at the UN - New York". www.thesouthasiantimes.info. thesouthasiantimes.
- 2012, newhub (6 March 2017). "From a Scientist to a Saint: Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj". Daily News Updates - Newhub2012.
- Glassman, Sandra (1 January 1995). "The Sixth Assembly of the World Conference on Religion and Peace". Buddhist-Christian Studies. 15: 245–248.
- Downunder, Indian. "Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj on Australia and NZ tour in April 2014 | The Indian Down Under". www.indiandownunder.com.au. indiandownunder.
- INDIA, Hi. "IAMA honors Sant Rajinder Singh, top doctors | hi INDiA". hiindia.com. hiindia.com.
- Weekly, The Times. "Veggie Fest". thetimesweekly. thetimesweekly.
- Cichon, Kathy. "Veggie Fest returns to promote vegetarian lifestyle". Naperville Sun. Chicago Tribune.
- Asian Times, The South. "Over 40000 attend 11th Annual Veggie Fest in Illinois". www.thesouthasiantimes.info. www.thesouthasiantimes.info.
- Fest, Veggie. "Veggie Fest 2016". www.veggiefestchicago.com. www.veggiefestchicago.com.
- portal, auburngresham. "Veggie Fest Chicago 2016 — Auburn Gresham Portal". www.auburngreshamportal.org.
- Smith, Katlyn (22 July 2016). "Bring an appetite to Veggie Fest". Daily Herald.
- Cichon, Kathy. "Veggie Fest returns to promote vegetarian lifestyle". Naperville Sun.
- tv, consciousliving (4 August 2015). "Chicago Veggie Fest Is On! - Conscious Living TV". Conscious Living TV.