Realty Income Corporation
The Monthly Dividend Company
|Traded as||NYSE: O
S&P 500 Index component
|Industry||Real estate investment trust|
|Founder||William E. Clark, Jr. & Evelyn J. Clark|
|Headquarters||San Diego, California|
|John P. Case, CEO
Paul M. Meurer, CFO
|Revenue||$1.103 billion (2016)|
|$0.316 billion (2016)|
|Total assets||$13.152 billion (2016)|
|Total equity||$6.766 billion (2016)|
Number of employees
The company is one of a few real estate investment trusts that pays dividends monthly, rather than quarterly.
As of December 31, 2016, the company owned 4,944 properties totaling 83.0 million rentable square feet, with an average property size of 16,800 square feet.
The company's largest tenants are as follows:
|Rank||Tenant||% of Total Revenue|
|8||BJ's Wholesale Club||2.4%|
Realty Income Corporation was founded in 1969 by William E. Clark and Evelyn J. Clark.
The company used cash to purchase land needed for stores that required real estate to run, and then leased the property to the stores long term.
In 1997, William E. Clark, Jr., retired as CEO and was succeeded by Thomas A. Lewis.
In 2004, the company acquired 112 Circle K stores for $110.5 million.
In 2006, the company acquired 144 properties leased to Buffets/Ryan's restaurant for $348 million.
In 2009, Clark retired as chairman.
In 2011, the company acquired 33 properties for $544 million.
In 2012, Michael D. McKee was named non-executive chairman.
In 2013, John Case became CEO of the company.
- Realty Income Corporation 2016 Form 10-K Annual Report
- Frankel, Matthew (June 3, 2015). "Realty Income Corporation: How a Taco Bell Evolved Into a $10 Billion REIT". The Motley Fool.
- WOLFF, ERIC (December 8, 2010). "REAL ESTATE: Local company ready to reap the bubble's remains". The San Diego Union-Tribune.
- "Realty Income Names John P. Case to Succeed Tom A. Lewis As Chief Executive Officer" (Press release). PRNewswire. September 3, 2013.
- "Realty Income Acquires $135 Million Property Portfolio of 86 Retail Tire Stores" (Press release). Business Wire. December 1, 2003.
- "Realty Income buys 112 Circle K stores". American City Business Journals. March 17, 2004.
- Forbes, Laurie (November 8, 2006). "Realty Income Enters $348M Sale-Leaseback with Buffets/Ryan's Restaurants". CoStar Group.
- "William E. Clark to Retire as Realty Income Chairman" (Press release). Business Wire. September 3, 2013.
- "Realty Income to Acquire $269 Million of Diageo Chateau & Estate Wines Properties in Sale-Leaseback Transaction" (Press release). Business Wire. June 24, 2010.
- Heschmeyer, Mark (December 15, 2010). "Realty Income Acquires 135 SuperAmerica Stations". CoStar Group.
- "Realty Income to Acquire up to $544 Million of Net Lease Properties" (Press release). Business Wire. March 7, 2011.
- "Realty Income Names Michael D. McKee Non-Executive Chairman" (Press release). Business Wire. February 21, 2012.
- "Realty Income To Acquire American Realty Capital Trust In $2.95 Billion Transaction" (Press release). PR Newswire. September 6, 2012.
- "Realty Income Closes American Realty Capital Trust Acquisition" (Press release). Business Wire. January 22, 2013.
- Sprague, Thomas (May 21, 2014). "Realty Income Corp Acquires Greenwood Springs for $8.1M". CoStar Group.
- HIRSH, LOU (July 6, 2014). "Realty Income Corp. Buys El Cajon Retail Center for $20.1 Million". American City Business Journals.
- "Realty Income Set to Join S&P 500; Windstream, Douglas Emmett to Join the S&P MidCap 400; Gentherm, Echo Global Logistics to Join the S&P SmallCap 600" (Press release). PR Newswire. March 27, 2015.