Richard Belluzzo (often known as Rick Belluzzo) (born November 26, 1953) is an American businessman who worked as an executive at Hewlett-Packard (HP), Silicon Graphics (SGI), Microsoft (MS), Quantum Corp. (QTM), and Viavi Solutions (VIAV). He has served on the Board of Directors of several technology companies. He holds a Bachelor of Science degree in accounting from Golden Gate University.
Belluzzo worked for HP for 23 years, with his last role being executive vice president of their computer division. He moved to SGI in January 1998, becoming Chairman of the Board and CEO, succeeding Edward R. McCracken. During his time in the systems business, Belluzzo led both HP and SGI through the transition from proprietary systems to industry standard solutions. These actions were controversial at the time.
In August 1999, Belluzzo left SGI to head Microsoft's MSN division, and then the whole Consumer business, leading several emerging efforts, including the launch of the first Xbox. In February 2001, he became president and chief operating officer of Microsoft, running the day to day business during the critical CEO transition from Bill Gates to Steve Ballmer. In September 2002, he was appointed CEO at Quantum Corp., where he managed the transformation from a Tape Drives to a Storage Systems Company, leader in Back-up, Recovery, and Archive solutions. In August 2015 he was appointed Interm CEO at Viavi Solutions, and led the completion of successful restructuring of JDSU into two public companies.
After leaving Quantum, Belluzzo began working with Italian Startups in both the US and Italy, becoming an investor in several companies. In 2017 he became a partner at Venture Capital firm Innogest Capital.
In 2017 he was awarded the honor of Cavaliere Della Repubblica Italiana (Italian Knighthood) by the President of the Italian Republic.
- Robert Digitale (2016-03-20). "Viavi Solutions board chairman Rick Belluzzo: Hardheaded and softhearted". The Press Democrat. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- "Profiles: Richard Belluzzo". Golden Gate University. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- "Silicon Graphics Names Richard Belluzzo Chairman and CEO". Press Release. Silicon Graphics, Inc. 23 January 1998. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- "SGI surprise: Belluzzo out as CEO". ZDNet. 1999-08-24. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- "Belluzzo's Nvidia pact 'sealed SGI's fate'". The Register. 2006-05-13. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- David Einstein (2000-08-19). "Rick Belluzzo, Microsoft's Internet Czar". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- Rebecca Buckman (2001-02-14). "Microsoft Names Rick Belluzzo Its President, Operating Chief". WallStreetJournal. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- John Cook (2002-04-03). "Microsoft president and COO Belluzzo resigns". SeattlePI. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- Martyn Williams (2002-08-05). "Former Microsoft President To Become Quantum's CEO". ComputerWorld. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- Kelly Hill (2015-08-12). "Post-JDSU split, Viavi's CEO steps down". RCRWireless News. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- "Richard Belluzzo (Microsoft, HP, SGI) appointed Innogest's partner". Innogest Capital. 2016-12-11. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- "Venture Capital Firm Innogest Appoints Richard Belluzzo as Partner". FinSMEs. 2016-12-11. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- "Richard E. Belluzzo". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
- "Onorificenze". Presidenza della Repubblica Italiana. Retrieved 2018-02-08.
Edward R. McCracken
|CEO Silicon Graphics
|President and COO Microsoft