Ride To Work
Ride To Work logo
Ride To Work is a Minnesota-based 501(c)(4) charitable organization devoted to increasing awareness of motorcycling as a transportation alternative, mainly through the annual Ride to Work Day. The organization was incorporated in 2000 by Andy Goldfine, the owner of Aerostich.
Ride to Work Day started in 1992 as an informal event, before the Ride To Work organization existed. Since 2008, Ride to Work Day has been held on the third Monday in June. According to a 2006 statement to the National Transportation Safety Board by Goldfine, Ride to Work Day is the largest motorcycle event by number of participants, with over one million American commuter participants annually in the early 2010s according to the Congressional Motorcycle Safety Caucus and press sources.
Ride to Work Day is also run in other countries including Australia, the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Slovenia, Israel, Turkey, Ecuador, Argentina and the Philippines. In the United Kingdom, the Motorcycle Industry Association runs the event alongside National Motorcycle Week. A survey by Motor Cycle News released to coincide with National Ride to Work Day in the United Kingdom on July 21, 2010, revealed that 59% of motorists found Britain's roads stressful and that 21% of them would like to switch to two wheels.
In Argentina, in the Southern Hemisphere, the same seasonal date was respected: the third Monday of the month that initiates summer, which turns out to be the third Monday in December. This is key to have a real RTW day worldwide, due to the hemispheres seasonal differences.
- Natalie DiBlasio (June 20, 2011), "Expect more motorcycles on the road Monday", USA Today,
...the 20-year-old event...
- Ride To Work Day History, Ride To Work, retrieved 2010-07-21
- "Statement of Mr. Andy Goldfine" (PDF), Public Forum on Motorcycle Safety, National Transportation Safety Board, September 12–13, 2006
- "Congressional Motorcycle Safety Caucus Urges Riders to Participate in Ride to Work Day on June 21". Enhanced Online News. 2010-06-18. Retrieved 2011-01-09.
- Ron Lieback (April 25, 2012), Ride to Work Day Projects 1 Million Riders, Ultimate Motorcycling, retrieved 20 May 2014
- "Ride That Two-Wheeler to Work". ABC News. 16 July 2008. Retrieved 1 March 2009.
- "Campaigns: Ride to Work Day and National Motorcycle Week". Motorcycle Industry Association. Retrieved 1 March 2009.
- Williams, David (21 July 2010). "Biking to a stress-free life". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 21 July 2010.
- ARGENTINA: EN DICIEMBRE, AL TRABAJO EN MOTO [Argentina: In December, Motorcycle to Work], INFORMOTO, May 14, 2015