Robert Russell (English actor)
24 May 1936|
|Died||12 May 2008
|Occupation||Film, television actor|
Robert Russell (24 May 1936 – 12 May 2008) was an English actor known for a memorable supporting role as John Stearne alongside Vincent Price in the classic British horror film Witchfinder General (1968).
He was born in Kent, England. His family emigrated to South Africa for 9 years when he was aged 11. He worked in a gold mine after leaving school. He returned to England and trained as an actor at the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art. He then appeared on stage with stars such as Laurence Olivier and Michael Gambon, as a member of the National Theatre touring company.
He made numerous appearances on UK television, often playing tough characters and villains due to his imposing stature, including The Avengers, The Sweeney, Space: 1999, Blake's 7 and Doctor Who, playing a guard in the serial entitled The Power of the Daleks and a Highland Games Champion, The Caber, in Terror of the Zygons. Some of his other film appearances included Othello (1965), The Whisperers (1967), Bedazzled (1967) with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore, Inspector Clouseau (1968), The Breaking of Bumbo (1970), Man in the Wilderness (1971) with Richard Harris, Sitting Target (1972), Double Exposure (1977), Queen of the Blues (1979) starring Mary Millington, Ivanhoe (1982), Oliver Twist (1982), and the TV film of The Sign of Four (1983).
* Note: This is from a Public Member Trees search on Ancestry, where the date of death is oddly given as 18 May 2008 (see discussion).
- The Sinister Man (1961) - Uniformed Sgt
- Shadow of Fear (1963) - Ransome
- Othello (1965) - Senators-Soldiers-Cypriots
- The Whisperers (1967) - Andy
- Robbery (1967) - Detective
- Bedazzled (1967) - Anger
- Inspector Clouseau (1968) - Stockton
- Witchfinder General (1968) - John Stearne
- Eyewitness (1970) - Headquarters Policeman
- The Breaking of Bumbo (1970) - Sgt. Clegg
- Carry on Loving (1970) - Policeman (uncredited)
- Man in the Wilderness (1971) - Smith
- Sitting Target (1972) - Prison Warder One
- Double Exposure (1977) - Kidnapper Russell
- A Hitch in Time (1978) - King's Aide (uncredited)
- Queen of the Blues (1979) - Roscoe
- Silver Dream Racer (1980) - Garage Mechanic
- Ivanhoe (1982) - Leader
- Oliver Twist (1982) - 2nd Constable
- The Sign of Four (1983) - Williams
- Strange Horizons (1992) - Shorty
- "Robert Russell (obit)", The Maidenhead Advertiser, 2008-05-22
|This article about an English film and television actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|