October 21, 1944|
North Charleston, South Carolina
|Died||August 22, 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
|Alma mater||University of South Carolina School of Law|
Ronald L. Motley (October 21, 1944 – August 22, 2013) was an American trial attorney, and a principal of Motley Rice LLC–a law firm based in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. He is best known for leading lawsuits against tobacco and asbestos companies.
Early life and education
Motley was lead counsel for more than 6,500 family members and survivors of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks seeking justice against al-Qaeda’s financiers. His chief European investigator was noted terrorism financing expert Jean-Charles Brisard.
In 1998, he was named Harry M. Philo Trial Lawyer of the Year by the 50,000-member Association of Trial Lawyers of America and received the President’s Award of the National Association of Attorneys General. The Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids gave him their Youth Advocates of the Year Award in 1999.
Motley has over his three-decade career won major judgments for his clients against the asbestos and tobacco industries. Ronald Motley was portrayed by Bruce McGill in the 1999 film The Insider, starring Russell Crowe.
- Schwarz, John (2013-08-22). "Ron Motley, Who Tackled Big Tobacco, Dies at 68". New York Times. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Inside the tobacco deal - Interview with Ronald Motley, Pbs.org
- Biography from Motley Rice, Motleyrice.com
- Isikoff, Michael; Hosenball, Mark (April 16, 2003). "A Legal Counterattack". Newsweek. Archived from the original on 2007-07-13. Retrieved 2007-08-02.
- "Ronald Motley dies at 68; lawyer took on tobacco, asbestos industries". Los Angeles Times. 2013-08-26. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Feeley, Jef (August 23, 2013). "Ronald L. Motley dies at 68; pioneered tobacco litigation". The Washington Post. Retrieved 2013-08-27.
- Bartleme, Tony. "Ron Motley, famed asbestos and tobacco lawyer, dead at 68." Post and Courier August 22, 2013
- Searcey, Dionne. "Hard-Charging Attorney Ronald Motley Dead at the Age of 68." Wall Street Journal blog.
- Senior, Jennifer. "A Nation Unto Himself", New York Times March 14, 2004