Ryan Anderson (American football)
Anderson in 2017
|No. 52 – Washington Redskins|
|Born:||August 12, 1994|
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||253 lb (115 kg)|
|High school:||Daphne (Daphne, Alabama)|
|NFL Draft:||2017 / Round: 2 / Pick: 49|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Orlando "Ryan" Anderson (born August 12, 1994) is an American football outside linebacker for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for Alabama, and was drafted by the Redskins in the second round of the 2017 NFL Draft.
Anderson attended Daphne High School in Daphne, Alabama. He had 75 tackles and 14.5 sacks for the football team during his junior year. As a senior, he had 105 tackles and 12 sacks as a senior. Anderson committed to the University of Alabama to play college football.
After redshirting his first year at Alabama in 2012, Anderson played in all 13 games in 2013 and had 1.5 sacks. As a sophomore in 2014, he played in all 14 games, recording 25 tackles and three sacks. As a junior in 2015, he had 37 tackles and six sacks. He returned to Alabama for his senior year in 2016.
Anderson received an invitation to the Senior Bowl, but was unable to play in the game after he dislocated his thumb during the first day of practice. He attended the NFL Combine and decided to not perform the short shuttle, broad jump, bench press, and three-cone drill. Anderson also participated at Alabama's Pro Day, but opted to only perform the three-cone and positional drills. He was projected to be a second to fourth round pick by the majority of NFL draft experts and analysts. He was ranked the 5th best outside linebacker by NFL analyst Bucky Brooks, the 7th best linebacker by ESPN, 8th best outside linebacker by NFLDraftScout.com, and was ranked the 13th best edge rusher by Sports Illustrated.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad|
|6 ft 2 in
|31 1⁄2 in
|9 3⁄8 in
|4.78 s||1.76 s||2.79 s||7.73 s||28 1⁄2 in
|All values from NFL Combine/Alabama's Pro Day|
The Washington Redskins selected Anderson in the second round (49th overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft. On May 11, 2017, the Redskins signed Anderson to a four-year, $5.32 million contract with $2.71 million guaranteed and a signing bonus of $2.01 million.
- Alabama commitment Ryan Anderson wants to be judged by his play on the field
- Ryan Anderson preaches patience in final go-around at Alabama
- Don't call Alabama LB Ryan Anderson a pass rusher
- Tide linebacker Ryan Anderson eager to deliver some blows
- Another Alabama defender to pass on draft, this time Ryan Anderson
- Aaron Suttles (January 26, 2017). "Ryan Anderson in search of bigger spotlight at Senior Bowl". Alabama.rivals.com. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- Chris Burke (April 22, 2017). "2017 NFL draft rankings: Top prospects by position". si.com. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- Jeff Legwold (April 22, 2017). "Ranking the 2017 Drafts Top 100 Prospects". ESPN.com. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- Bucky Brooks (April 25, 2017). "Bucky Brooks' top 5 2017 NFL Draft prospects by position 3.0". NFL.com. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- "NFL Draft Profile: Ryan Anderson". NFL.com. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- "Ryan Anderson, DS #8 OLB, Alabama". nfldraftscout.com. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- Kring-Schreifels, Jake (April 28, 2017). "Redskins Select Ryan Anderson With Second-Round Pick In 2017 NFL Draft". Redskins.com.
- "Spotrac.com: Ryan Anderson contract". spotrac.com. Retrieved May 15, 2017.