This article needs to be updated.(July 2012)
SOLVE (formerly SOLV, Sustaining Oregon's Legacy by Volunteering, originally an acronym for Stop Oregon Litter and Vandalism) is an environmental non-profit organization working throughout the U.S. state of Oregon. The group is based in Portland
SOLVE was founded in 1969 by Oregon Governor Tom McCall with the goal of reducing and cleaning up litter and vandalism throughout Oregon. In 1976, SOLVE hired Blanche Schroeder, Portland Chamber of Commerce lobbyist, to act as Executive Director of SOLVE on a part-time basis. The first statewide citizen Beach Cleanup in the nation was organized by SOLVE in 1984. Since then, annual beach cleanups have spread to every state in the U.S., all U.S. territories, and more than 100 countries around the world.
Jack McGowan became the director of the group in 1990, and continued as its leader until 2008. Over time, SOLVE has expanded its work to include education efforts, removal of invasive species, and planting of native species. In April 2008, Dianna Smiley took over as director after McGowan retired, and she was replaced in January 2010 by Melisa McDonald. The current Executive Director is Maureen Fisher. As of 2011, the organization had a $2.2 million budget.
- SOLVE FAQ
- Duin, Steve (September 7, 2003). "Overcoming division with a vision". The Oregonian. p. B1.
- Mortenson, Eric (January 15, 2010). "SOLV, known for its volunteer beach and river cleanups, appoints new director". The Oregonian. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- Hill, Gail (March 26, 2008). "SOLV director hopes for record Oregon beach cleanup". The Oregonian. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- The Oregonian. September 27, 1976. Missing or empty
- "Bringing Oregonians together to build a legacy of stewardship!". SOLV. March 22, 2012. Archived from the original on 2012-05-20.
- Wood, Shelby (April 16, 2008). "SOLV gets new leader: Dianna Smiley". The Oregonian. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
|This Oregon-volunteer or nonprofit organization related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|