CF Sanjoanense (Porto Novo)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Full name||Clube de Futebol Os Sanjoanenses|
|Founded||February 4, 1984|
|Ground||Ribeira das Pratas,
Porto Novo, Cape Verde
|League||Santo Antão Island League (South)|
Clube de Futebol Os Sanjoanenses, also known as Sanjoanense (Capeverdean Crioulo, ALUPEC or ALUPEK: Sanjoanensi, also in the other Capeverdean Crioulo forms of the Santo Antão and the São Vicente Crioulos) is a football club that currently plays in the Santo Antão Island League South Zone in Cape Verde. It is based in the town of Porto Novo in the northern part of the island of Santo Antão.
The club was founded on February 4, 1984 and was called Futebol Clube Esperança (FC Esperança). In 1996, the club changed its name to Sanjoanense after Saint John, the patron saint of Porto Novo.
The team is the only one of the four teams in the division that never won any title since the breakup of the island division in 1997. Recently the club cannot afford to compete in the island league due to the financial reasons in the early 2010s.
The club won their regional title and was their last title before breakup in 2002 and brought their only appearance in the championships. The club finished 7th with 6 points, 2 wins and scored 8 goals. The only wins were in weeks 1 and 5, both of them 2-1 to Onze Unidos and Académica da Brava. The last match ended in a loss to Académica Fogo 5-1 on June 29 and was the club worst defeat at the nationals.
Later, the club won their only cup title in 2005.
Between 1984 and 2012, it was of the westernost football (soccer) clubs in the whole of Africa, Tarrafal de Monte Trigo took the spot afterwards.
Together with Santo André (based in Ribeira da Cruz), the club withdrew and was absent from the 2015/16 season due to financial concerns. Together with another club who withdrew last season, they returned for the 2016/17 season and faced off with each other, Sanjoanense defeated Santo André 4-0 in the first round on November 12. Currently Sanjoanense is second and has now scored 17 goals in five rounds, more than all the goals scored in the 2013-14 season and fewer than their last appearance.
Its logo and uniform is same to that of the Portuguese club Os Belenenses and is a club affiliate, the acronym reads "CFS", Clube Sportivo Joanense and the founding date at the bottom.
League and cup history
Santo Antão Island League
Santo Antão Island League (South)
- Best position: 7th (national)
- Best positiion at a cup competition: 1st (regional)
- Appearances at the Santo Antão Cup: Once, in 2016
- Total matches played: 7 (national)
- Total points: 6 (national)
- Total wins: 2 (national)
- Total goals scored: 8 (national)
- Total losses: 6 (national)
- Total goals conceded: 21 (national)
- Worst defeat at the National Championships: Académica do Fogo 5 - 1 Sanjoanense, 29 June 2002
- "Sanjoanense-Santo André Match Starts the Regionals Beginning Saturday". Criolosport (in Portuguese). 11 November 2016. Retrieved 14 November 2016.
- Sanjoanenses at Facebook (Portuguese)
- CF Os Sanjoanenses affiliate at the Os Belenenses homepage (Portuguese)