Search and Destroy (Thirty Seconds to Mars song)
|"Search and Destroy"|
|Promotional single by Thirty Seconds to Mars from the album This Is War|
|Released||October 25, 2010|
The International Centre for the Advancement of the Arts and Sciences of Sound
(Los Angeles, California)
|Genre||Alternative rock, electronic rock|
|Length||5:38 (Album version)
4:46 (Radio edit)
|Producer||Flood, 30 Seconds to Mars|
"Search and Destroy" is a song recorded by American rock band Thirty Seconds to Mars, for their third studio album This Is War. It appears as the ninth track on the album. Written by lead vocalist Jared Leto, the song was released as a promotional single to UK radio on October 25, 2010. The track was produced by Flood and 30 Seconds to Mars, and was originally not going to be on the album because the song was so hard to mix.
Background and recording
The song includes a heavy contribution from the band's fans, captured singing a chorus created from layers of the band's Summit recordings.
While doing an exclusive track by track album preview, Jared told MusicRadar:
|“||Actually, we were going to throw this song out, but we decided to keep it. It was hard to mix, a total pain in ass, but I’m glad it made the record because I think it fits in with the overall framework of the album.
"The song is a mission, an adventure that takes you on a journey. Maybe that’s why it gave us so much trouble: We had go on an adventure as a band to get it right. Some songs come very easily and other ones fight you. "Oftentimes, the ones that give you trouble turn out to be the best ones - this is an example of the latter.
"Search and Destroy" was a regular on setlists during the Into the Wild and Closer to the Edge tours, after This Is War had released. When played live, guitars and bass are tuned to Eb standard (low to high: Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb).
All songs written by Jared Leto.
|UK Promotional single|
|1.||"Search and Destroy"||5:39|
|European Promotional single|
|1.||"Search and Destroy"||4:46|
Credits adapted from This Is War liner notes.
- Performed by 30 Seconds to Mars
- Written by Jared Leto
- Published by Apocraphex Music (ASCAP)/Universal Music - Z Tunes, LLC (ASCAP)
- Produced by Flood, Steve Lillywhite, 30 Seconds to Mars
- Recorded by Ryan Williams, Matt Radosevich at The International Centre for the Advancement of the Arts and Sciences of Sound, Los Angeles, CA
- Additional engineering by Tom Biller, Rob Kirwan, Jamie Schefman, Sonny Diperri
- Mixed by Ryan Williams at Pulse Recording Studios, Los Angeles, CA
- Additional strings orchestrated and recorded by Michael Einziger at Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Mastered by Stephen Marcussen at Marcussen Mastering, Hollywood, CA
|Polish Singles Chart||77|
|Polish Rock Chart||8|
|UK Singles Chart||94|
|United Kingdom||October 25, 2010||Contemporary hit radio||Virgin Records, EMI|
- "Thirty Seconds to Mars This Is War". Sputnikmusic. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- Coplan, Chris. "30 Seconds to Mars - This Is War Review". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved July 15, 2014.
- This Is War (Liner notes). Thirty Seconds to Mars. Virgin Records. 2009. 9651112.
- "Sep 20th Rwdmag". rwdmag. 2010-09-20. Retrieved 2010-09-20.
- Karan, Tim (2009-10-06). "30 Seconds to Mars premiere "Kings and Queens"". Alternative Press. Retrieved 2009-10-13.
- Bosso, Joe (2009-12-02). "30 Seconds To Mars: Exclusive Track-by-track Album Preview – Search and Destroy". MusicRadar. Retrieved 2010-03-30.
- "Search & Destroy". Discography. 30 Seconds to Mars france.eu. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "Chart Stats – 30 Seconds To Mars – Kings And Queens". The Official Charts Company. Chartstats. Retrieved 2009-12-07.
- Alexander (2010-09-20). "Thirty Seconds To Mars New Single Announce Search & Destroy and UK Tour Dates". RWDmag. Retrieved 2010-09-20.