Gallagher in 2008
Shaun Gallagher is an Irish-American philosopher who works on embodied cognition and social cognition, agency and the philosophy of psychopathology. Since 2011 he has held the Lillian and Morrie Moss Chair of Excellence in Philosophy at the University of Memphis and was awarded the Anneliese Maier Research Award by the Humboldt Foundation (2012-2017). Since 2014 he has also been Professorial Fellow on the Faculty of Law, Humanities and the Arts at the University of Wollongong in Australia.
Gallagher co-edits the journal Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences, and is the author of several books, including How the Body Shapes the Mind (2005), Phenomenology (2012), Hermeneutics and Education (1992), The Inordinance of Time (1998), Brainstorming (2008), and (with Dan Zahavi), The Phenomenological Mind (2008; 2nd edition, 2012). He is also editor of The Oxford Handbook of the Self (2011) and several other volumes.
- Phenomenology (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2012)
- The Oxford Handbook of the Self (ed) (Oxford University Press, 2011)
- Handbook of Phenomenology and Cognitive Science. Co-edited with D. Schmicking (Berlin: Springer, 2010)
- The Phenomenological Mind (Routledge; 2008). Second edition (2012), co-authored with Dan Zahavi. Translations: Hungarian (2008); Italian (2009); Danish (2010); Japanese (2011); Korean (2013).
- Brainstorming: Views and Interviews on the Mind (Exeter, UK: Imprint Academic, 2008)
- Does Consciousness Cause Behavior? An Investigation of the Nature of Volition. Co-edited with W. Banks and S. Pockett (Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2006)
- How the Body Shapes the Mind (Oxford University Press; 2005) Chinese translation (2009)
- Ipseity and Alterity: Interdisciplinary Approaches to Intersubjectivity. Co-edited with S. Watson (Rouen: Publications de l'Université de Rouen, 2004)
- Models of the Self. Co-edited with J. Shear (Exeter, UK: Imprint Academic, 1999)
- The Inordinance of Time (Northwestern University Press, 1998)
- Hegel, History, and Interpretation. Editor (Albany: State University of New York Press, 1997)
- Merleau-Ponty, Hermeneutics, and Postmodernism. Co-edited with T. Busch. (Albany: State University of New York Press, 1992)
- Hermeneutics and Education (State University of New York Press; 1992)
- American philosophy
- Phenomenology (philosophy)
- Philosophy of mind
- Cognitive science
- List of American philosophers
- Joly I. (2011). Le Corps sans représentation. De Jean-Paul Sartre à Shaun Gallagher, Paris, L'Harmattan