|Directed by||Adarsh Eshwarappa|
|Produced by||Nandini Madesh |
Madesh T. Bhaskar
|Written by||Adarsh Eshwarappa|
|Music by||Jesse Clinton|
|Edited by||Ramisetty Pawan|
|Distributed by||Jacob Films|
Shuddhi is a 2017 Indian Kannada-language crime-drama film written and directed by Adarsh Eshwarappa. The film mainly stars Nivedhitha, Lauren Spartano and Amrutha Karagada in the lead roles. It also stars Shashank Purushotham and Sidhaartha Maadhyamika in supporting roles.
Whilst the cinematography is by Andrew Aiello, the film score was composed by Jesse Clinton. The major portion of the film has been shot using handheld technique which is a rarity in Indian cinema. The sound designer of the film is Nithin Lukose; Shuddhi was one amongst the very few films in Kannada, which was shot in sync sound.
The plot of the film highlights the crimes against women faced in the society. Karlyn Smith is an American, who lands in the City of Bengaluru in India. She is on a secret mission, which we gradually discover more about, as we cruise along with her on a spiritual journey. Jyothi & Divya are two journalists of a weekly magazine, who alongside their profession, are fighting against the country's lenient Juvenile Justice Act. They form a team and put up street plays in an effort to generate funds and strengthen their protest with a nationwide tour. Rakesh Patil & Bharat Gowda from the state special crime branch office, along with a team are chasing a criminal and in the process, stumble upon a few mysterious killings.
The culmination of the three stories towards the end; gives a new dimension to the film as a whole and concludes Shuddhi.
The film's trailer was launched on 3 February 2017 and was well received. It trended on Youtube at number 3. Shuddhi released on 17 March 2017 and completed a 100 day theatrical run at Box Office. Shuddhi was screened in over 40 Locations Across North America and went on to become one of the first few Kannada Films to be chosen for Screenings by the Japanese Community in Bengaluru. The Film was bought by and is streaming on Netflix from March 2018. Writer & Director Adarsh Eshwarappa also went on to publish the full Screenplay of the Film online.
Shuddhi received tremendous response from audience and critics. A review on Bangalore Mirror reads “The reel- and real- life inspired moments are blended together effortlessly, and synchronised sound recording, a trend that’s catching up in regional cinemas, adds a realistic touch to the movie" While Times of India review read 'To talk about the story and plot would be taking away credit from the good screenplay woven by the maker'. 'Shuddhi is a visceral cinematic experience, an absolute shock to the system' wrote Vikram Bondal from 'mad about moviez' A review in Kannada Prabha read 'ಸಿನೆಮಾದಲ್ಲಿ ಬಹಳ ದಿಟ್ಟತನದಿಂದ ಮೂಡಿರುವ ಮತ್ತೊಂದು ಸಮಸ್ಯೆ (ಘಟನೆ) ಹಾಗು ಅದನ್ನು ವ್ಯವಹರಿಸಿರುವ ರೀತಿಗೆ ಈ ಸಿನೆಮಾ ಕರ್ತೃ ಆದರ್ಶ್ ಬಹಳವಾಗಿ ಕಾಡುತ್ತಾರೆ.' and a review on Asianet News read 'ಮೊದಲ ಚಿತ್ರದಲ್ಲೇ ನಿರೂಪಣೆ, ತಾಂತ್ರಿಕತೆ ಮತ್ತು ಕತೆ ಹೇಳುವ ತುಡಿತವನ್ನು ಕಟ್ಟಿಕೊಟ್ಟಿರುವ ಆದರ್ಶ್, ಕನ್ನಡಕ್ಕೊಂದು ಮ್ಯಾಜಿಕ್ ಸ್ಪರ್ಶವನ್ನು ದಯಪಾಲಿಸಿದ್ದಾರೆ.'
- Lauren Spartano
- Amrutha Karagada
- Shashank Purushottam
- Sidhartha Maadhyamika
- "Female-centric Kannada film about crimes against women". The Times of India.
- "Shuddhi to give Kannada audiences a Hollywood experience". The Times of India. 11 March 2017.
- "Thithi sound designer works his magic in Shuddhi". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- "Shuddhi weaves around three real-life incidents". newindianexpress.com.
- "Kannada film Shuddhi is a hit online". The Times of India. 26 February 2017.
- "'Shuddhi' Kannada Movie Official Trailer trending in YouTube". India Live Today.
- "Shuddhi trailer catches Puneeth's attention". The New Indian Express. 8 March 2017.
- "Shuddhi completes 100-day run at the BO". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- "ಮಹಿಳಾ ಪ್ರಧಾನವಾದ ಕನ್ನಡದ 'ಶುದ್ಧಿ'ಗೆ ಶತದಿನದ ಸಂಭ್ರಮ". kannada.filmibeat.com.
- "SHUDDI COMPLETES 100 DAYS". chitraloka.com.
- "Shuddhi to be screened in 40 locations across the US". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- "A special screening of Shuddhi for The Japanese Association". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- "Shuddhi on Netflix". netflix.com.
- "Find out how Shuddhi took shape by reading the screenplay online". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- "Sandalwood's new-age filmmakers share their scripts online". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- "Shuddhi movie review: When women take over". bangaloremirror.indiatimes.com.
- "SHUDDHI MOVIE REVIEW". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- "The Dawn of Durga". madaboutmoviez.com.
- "ವ್ಯವಸ್ಥೆಯ-ರಾಜಕೀಯ 'ಶುದ್ಧಿ'ಗಾಗಿ ಪ್ರತೀಕಾರದ ಪಯಣ". kannadaprabha.com.
- "ಸೇಡಿನ ಬೆಂಕಿಯಿಂದ ಸುಟ್ಟು ಶುದ್ಧ ಮಾಡಿದವರು". kannada.asianetnews.com.
- "Karnataka State Film Award for First Best Film". en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnataka_State_Film_Award_for_First_Best_Film.
- "Shuddhi is best film; Tara best actress". timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- "Karnataka State Film Award for Best Director". en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnataka_State_Film_Award_for_Best_Director.
|This article about a Kannada film of the 2010s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|