Silex website builder
|Developer(s)||Alexandre Hoyau, Pierre Teissière, Pol Goasdoué, founders|
2.5 / 2015
|Website||Silex official website|
- Founded in 2003 by Alex Hoyau, Pol Goasdoué and Pierre Teissière. The project is oriented towards video and cross media.
- In 2005, the version v0-6 is presented at the WWDC2005 in Cupertino California. Apple is interested in Flash capacity to compete with their QuickTime plug-in. Macromedia has just been acquired by Adobe, Apple’s main partner.
- In 2006, the program was presented in several conferences at La Villette and won a challenge organized by Dauphine high school with INRIA - French National institute for research in computer science and control. The program at this time was mainly used for freelancers small projects.
- In 2007, Silex source code officially released as open source
- In 2008, Silex was among the 100 first Open Source projects on SourceForge. Silex v1 is released.
- In 2009, Silex was project of the month on SourceForge. The program was presented Silex at several French conference: Futur en Seine, Les Trophées du Libre, Pas sage en Seine, Wikiplaza 
- In 2010, the team members formalized their cooperation by creating a non profit organization for promotion, deployment support, and development of open source software projects related to Silex and Open Source Flash. The organization became the official maintainer of AMFPHP, a mature communautary project.
- In 2012, Silex has reached the 100.000 downloads. And the team has made a dedicated version for HTML, the html5 editor, which was downloaded 1000 times on the first month.
- In 2016, Silex Labs foundation has set up a crowd funding campaign to give Silex international concern by creating a multilingual documentation and tutorials, and to create free templates to facilitate the creation of a website, and to develop a "responsive editor" to make it possible to optimize the mobile version of websites.
- WYSIWYG environment to edit a publication with drag and drop
- suitable for prototyping
- web based, can be installed locally, on a web server or as a portable app
- free templates and plugins
|Free||Own your data||Type of websites||WYSIWYG / Drag'n drop||Use of CSS/JS/HTML||Widgets and templates||Self hosted / downloadable||Static web page||Technical skills required||Time to learn the basics|
|Silex||Yes (foss)||Yes||Showcase / small websites||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||**||1h|
|WordPress||Yes (oss)||Yes||Any type and size||No||Yes (+PHP)||Yes||Yes||No||***||4h|
|Wix||Yes (freemium)||No||Showcase / small websites||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||*||1h|
|Jekyll||Yes (foss)||Yes||Any type and size||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||****||4h|
- "Silex Alternatives and Similar Software - AlternativeTo.net". AlternativeTo. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "Silex, live web creation - Browse Files at SourceForge.net". sourceforge.net. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "Stat-is-stuck - Silex Labs". Silex Labs (in French). 2009-06-12. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "SourceForge Community Blog | Project of the Month, June 2009". sourceforge.net. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "Silex on the scene - Silex Labs". Silex Labs (in French). 2009-05-26. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "Video Wikiplaza - Silex Labs". Silex Labs (in French). 2009-06-10. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "Silex launches a crowdfunding campaign. - Templamatic". www.templamatic.com. Retrieved 2016-05-20.
- "Silex free website builder". Ulule. Retrieved 2016-05-20.