Sinfonia ViVA is a British orchestra based in Derby, United Kingdom. The orchestra is administratively based at the Guildhall Theatre, since August 2014. Sinfonia ViVA gives concerts in a number of cities and venues, including the following:
- Cleethorpes (Meridian Park)
- Derby (Assembly Rooms)
- Hereford (The Courtyard)
- Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire (Palace Theatre)
- Nottingham (Royal Concert Hall)
- Stamford (Stamford Arts Centre)
Malcolm Nabarro founded the orchestra in 1982 as the East of England Orchestra in Nottingham, and served as its first artistic director through 1995. Peter Helps then became chief executive of the orchestra in 1995. In that year, the orchestra moved its residence from Nottingham to Derby, specifically to the Beaufort Business Centre. In 1996, Nicholas Kok became principal conductor of the orchestra. The orchestra changed its name to Sinfonia ViVA in 2000. Kok stood down as sinfonia ViVA's principal conductor in 2006, and then became the orchestra's principal guest conductor. André de Ridder became principal conductor of sinfonia ViVA in 2007, with an initial contract of 3 years. In September 2010, the orchestra extended his contract through 2012.  de Ridder concluded his tenure with sinfonia ViVA after the 2011-2012 season. In September 2014, sinfonia ViVa announced the appointment of Duncan Ward as its next principal conductor, effective in January 2015, for an initial contract of 2 years.
The orchestra appointed its first resident composer, Anna Meredith, as "Composer in the House" in December 2009. She formally began her work with sinfonia ViVA in January 2010, and continued in the post through 2012.
Outside of conventional classical music, sinfonia ViVA made its first London appearance in May 2009 at King's Place, as part of the "East Meets West Festival", in collaboration with the Indian violinist Kala Ramnath. The orchestra has also worked with the group Gorillaz on their 2010 album Plastic Beach. Previously, as East of England Orchestra, they worked with Steven Wilson and his band Porcupine Tree on their extended version of Stupid Dream's Even Less, and on Ambulance Chasing, both of which were included on their 2001 limited release "Recordings".
- Malcolm Nabarro (1982-1995) (Artistic Director, East of England Orchestra)
- Nicholas Kok (1996-2006)
- André de Ridder (2007-2012)
- "Orchestra moves to Cathedral Quarter". Derby Telegraph. 2014-08-23. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- "World premiere performance helps put Derby orchestra firmly in the spotlight". Derby Telegraph. 2011-02-10. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- "Principal Conductor reaffirms commitment to sinfonia ViVA" (Press release). sinfonia ViVA. 13 September 2010. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- Nigel Powlson (2011-02-11). "Conductor extends contract at 'impressive' orchestra to 2012". Derby Telegraph. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- "Conductor André set to say goodbye to Viva with typically classic performance". Derby Telegraph. 2012-01-23. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "Rising Star Takes Up the Baton With Sinfonia Viva" (Press release). sinfonia ViVA. 17 September 2014. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- Helen Meynell (2009-12-24). "Composer Anna to spend two years with Viva". Derby Telegraph. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- "Anna Meredith appointed RPS/PRS for Music Foundation Composer in the House at sinfonia ViVA 2010-2012" (Press release). sinfonia ViVA. December 2009. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- Nigel Powlson (2009-05-22). "Orchestra ready for classic as it makes bow in capital". Derby Telegraph. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- "André helps Viva to reach new heights". Derby Telegraph. 2011-02-11. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- Ned Raggett. "Review by Ned Raggett". www.allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-11-15.