Sir George Hamilton, 1st Baronet
Born in Northumberland, he was the son of a prominent Church of England cleric, the Venerable George Hans Hamilton, Archdeacon of Lindisfarne then Northumberland, Canon of Durham and his wife Lady Louisa Hamilton.
Early career and family
Following education at Aysgarth School and Charterhouse School, he was apprenticed to the firm of Scott & Mountain Ltd, a Newcastle-based electrical and general engineering company. He represented the company in various countries including India, Bulgaria, Greece, Russia and Egypt. He subsequently became the managing director of the Manchester branch of Drake & Gorham, electrical engineers.
During World War I he was commissioned as an officer in the Queen's Westminster Rifles, the 16th Battalion of the London Regiment, rising to the rank of major. In October 1916 he was transferred to the General List. He was appointed Director of Enrolment National Service in 1917 and Controller of Contract Claims at the Ministry of Munitions in 1918.
In 1913 he won a by-election and was elected to the Commons as Conservative Member of Parliament (MP) for Altrincham. He served as Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Minister of Pensions from 1919–20. He held the seat until 1923. He returned to parliament at another by-election at Ilford in 1928. He resigned from the House of Commons in 1937.
Hamilton moved to Cransford Hall, near Saxmundham in Suffolk. He became a member of East Suffolk County Council, and was chairman of two companies: the Expanded Metal Company and the National Group of Fixed Trusts.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1983) . British parliamentary election results 1918–1949 (3rd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. ISBN 0-900178-06-X.
- Leigh Rayment's list of baronets [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs [self-published source][better source needed]
- "HAMILTON, Sir George Clements". Who Was Who. Oxford University Press. December 2007. Retrieved 22 March 2011.
- "Births". The Times. 5 November 1877. p. 1.
- "Obituary: Sir George Hamilton". The Times. 13 January 1947. p. 7.
- The London Gazette: . 1 December 1916.
- The London Gazette: . 2 June 1922.
- The London Gazette: . 11 May 1937.
- "Deaths". The Times. 14 January 1947. p. 1.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Sir George Hamilton
- Portraits of Sir (Collingwood) George Clements Hamilton, 1st Bt at the National Portrait Gallery, London
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Altrincham
Sir Fredric Wise
|Member of Parliament for Ilford
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
of Ilford, Essex
Patrick George Hamilton