(Redirected from Solidarism (disambiguation))
Solidarism or solidarist can refer to:
- The term "solidarism" is applied to the sociopolitical thought advanced by Léon Bourgeois based on ideas by the sociologist Émile Durkheim which is loosely applied to a leading social philosophy operative during and within the French Third Republic prior to the First World War.
- A member of the American Solidarity Party, a Christian Democratic party in the United States, is often referred to as a "Solidarist"
- "Social Catholicism" or the application of the Catholic social teaching as outlined in the papal social encyclicals and promoted by Heinrich Pesch (1854-1926) in his Teaching Guide to Economics.
- The Swedish system of labor arrangement in which labor unions and capitalists jointly set wages below market clearing levels. From this arrangement, labor receives full employment and wage leveling, while capitalists pay less for labor, and do not have to worry about their employees being "poached" by firms who can offer more. This arrangement is traditionally enforced through employer organizations. The arrangement is destabilized during economic booms, when firms cheat on the system and surreptitiously raise "compensation", rather than pay, in the form of increased benefits, safety, or other forms of indirect payment.
- Among the French far-right, solidarism refers to a tendency which was headed by Jean-Pierre Stirbois and Michel Collinot (French Solidarist Movement). Solidarists support a non-capitalist, non-communist "third way", and are generally opponents of the influence of both the Soviet Union and the United States. It was recently an influence of the Radical Network. National Front member Roger Holeindre claims to follow this tendency.
- An element within the White movement in Russia opposed to Communism and seeking a Christian alternative to collectivism was called the National Alliance of Russian Solidarists.
- Catholic social teaching
- Social cohesion
- Social justice
- Solidarity economy
- Third way
- Hayward, J.E.S., "Solidarist Syndicalism: Durkheim and DuGuit", Sociological Review 8 (1960) and Thompson, Kenneth, Émile Durkheim, Routledge (2002)
- Conley, John J. (8 September 2016). "Confessions of a Solidarist". America Magazine. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- Pesch, Heinrich, Teaching Guide to Economics (10 volumes), translated by Rupert Ederler, Edwin Mellen Press (2003); and, Storck, Thomas, "A Giant Among Catholic Economists", New Oxford Review (February 2005)
- Marcus, Jonathan (1995). The National Front and French Politics. New York: New York University Press. pp.36