Morgan performing in Birmingham during the The Gem Tour in 2010.
|Birth name||Jessica Sparkle Morgan|
|Also known as||Spark|
|Born||4 January 1992 (age 25)
Fazakerley, Liverpool, England
|Origin||Walthamstow, London, England|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, singer-songwriter, guitarist, piano|
|Instruments||Vocals, synthesizer, guitar|
|Labels||Warner/679 Artists (2010–2012)|
Life and career
Morgan was born in Fazakerley, Liverpool, England, and grew up in Walthamstow, London. At the age of seven, she began writing songs and by thirteen was selling her own songs on CDs at her own gigs, having taught herself how to play the guitar when she was twelve. Morgan has cited "purely people, situations, relationships, losses and gains" as her main influences lyrically. In 2006, she became the youngest person to win the Inter College Vocal Search competition and came first in an XFM busking contest the following year. She enrolled at the BRIT School where she studied music. Morgan was signed to Simon Fuller's management company 19 Entertainment (XIX) when she was 16 and signed a record deal to Warner/679 at age 18 after leaving college early to tour with Marina & The Diamonds. Morgan started recording her debut album with Rudimental's Amir Amor. Morgan toured with Marina and the Diamonds in May 2010. "Shut Out The Moon" was released as her debut single in July 2010 under the named Spark. This was shortly followed by Morgan getting signed to 679 Recordings. In the same year, she supported Black Cards, Diana Vickers and Janelle Monáe on their UK tours.
The music they had me making just wasn't me. I felt like a fake when I performed it and it just didn't feel right. The artists that I grew up with and fell in love with – Eminem, Tracey Chapman, Jay Z, have so much passion in their delivery that you know it's totally honest. And that made me wonder why I was starting my career trying to fulfill someone else's vision of who I was. It just didn't make sense.
In July 2013, Morgan released two new songs entitled "Take It Back" and "Struck Out". Several months later, she released her debut extended play, First, on 24 February 2014.
|2010||"Shut Out The Moon"|
|2013||"Take It Back"|
- The Family Jewels Tour (2010)
- Black Cards UK Tour (2010)
- Songs from the Tainted Cherry Tree Tour (2010)
- The ArchAndroid Tour (2010)
- SPARK – Biography – Retrieved 4 June 2010.
- Spark, It seems we’re at the end. I decided that these... Tumblr – 4 May 2010 – Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- New band of the day – No 796: Spark | Music | guardian.co.uk guardian – 27 May 2010 – Retrieved 27 May 2010.
- Spark « The Chemistry is Dead The Chemistry is Dead – 14 March 2010 – Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- Illegal Tender: Hype: There's A Spotlight In The Sky Illegal Tender Hype – 4 March 2010 – Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- Spark, Carefully constructed wheez Tumblr – Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- SPARK on MySpace Music – Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- Marina and The Diamonds – Blogs – HANDS BEHIND MY BACK. marinaandthediamonds.com – 29 April 2010 – Retrieved 30 April 2010
- TRACK: Spark 'Take It Back' | Music | DropoutUK.com Dropout UK – 11 July 2013 – Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Taking it back: TMF meets Spark | Feature | Music @ The Digital Fix TMF – 21 August 2013 – Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- – Spark: Listen To Take It Back Here | Contactmusic.com Contactmusic.com – July 2013 – Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "New Releases U.K. – Forthcoming Singles". Radio 1. Archived from the original on 29 September 2012.