Morgan in 2010
|Birth name||Jessica Sparkle Morgan|
|Also known as||Spark|
|Born||4 January 1992 (age 23)
Fazakerley, Liverpool, England
|Origin||Walthamstow, London, England|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, singer-songwriter, guitarist, piano|
|Instruments||Vocals, synthesizer, guitar|
Life and career
1992–2012: Early years
Jessica Morgan was born in Fazakerley, Liverpool, England, and grew up in Walthamstow, London. At the age of seven, she began writing songs and by thirteen was selling her own songs on CDs at Walthamstow Market. She taught herself how to play the guitar when she was twelve-years old so that she could write her own songs. She grew up listening to artists such as Eminem and Tracy Chapman. Morgan has cited "purely people, situations, relationships, losses and gains" as her main influences lyrically. In 2006, she became the youngest person to win the Inter College Vocal Search competition and came first in an XFM busking contest the following year. She enrolled at the BRIT School where she studied music.
Early demos of Morgan's songs were arranged by Peter Vettese. Prior to the release of her debut single, Morgan supported label-mate Marina and the Diamonds on The Gem Tour in May 2010. "Shut Out The Moon" was released as her debut single on 12 July 2010 under the named Spark. This was shortly followed by Morgan getting signed to 679 Recordings on 30 July 2010. In the same year, she also supported Black Cards, Diana Vickers and Janelle Monáe on their UK tours.
In 2012, Jessica Morgan parted ways with 679 stating that, “the music they had me making just wasn’t me," but insisted that there were "no hard feelings" toward them. In an interview with Contactmusic.com, Morgan elaborated on her reason to leave the label by saying:
The music they had me making just wasn't me. I felt like a fake when I performed it and it just didn't feel right. The artists that I grew up with and fell in love with – Eminem, Tracey Chapman, Jay Z, have so much passion in their delivery that you know it's totally honest. And that made me wonder why I was starting my career trying to fulfill someone else's vision of who I was. It just didn't make sense.
In July 2013, Morgan released two new songs entitled "Take It Back" and "Struck Out". Several months later, she released her debut extended play, First, on 24 February 2014.
|2010||"Shut Out The Moon"|
|2013||"Take It Back"|
- The Family Jewels Tour (2010)
- Black Cards UK Tour (2010)
- Songs from the Tainted Cherry Tree Tour (2010)
- The ArchAndroid Tour (2010)
- SPARK – Biography – Retrieved 4 June 2010.
- Spark, It seems we’re at the end. I decided that these... Tumblr – 4 May 2010 – Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- New band of the day – No 796: Spark | Music | guardian.co.uk guardian – 27 May 2010 – Retrieved 27 May 2010.
- Spark « The Chemistry is Dead The Chemistry is Dead – 14 March 2010 – Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- Illegal Tender: Hype: There's A Spotlight In The Sky Illegal Tender Hype – 4 March 2010 – Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- Taking it back: TMF meets Spark | Feature | Music @ The Digital Fix TMF – 21 August 2013 – Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- – Spark: Listen To Take It Back Here | Contactmusic.com Contactmusic.com – July 2013 – Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- Spark, Carefully constructed wheez Tumblr – Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- SPARK on MySpace Music – Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads Retrieved 15 May 2010.
- Marina and The Diamonds – Blogs – HANDS BEHIND MY BACK. marinaandthediamonds.com – 29 April 2010 – Retrieved 30 April 2010
- TRACK: Spark 'Take It Back' | Music | DropoutUK.com Dropout UK – 11 July 2013 – Retrieved 24 February 2014.
- "New Releases U.K. – Forthcoming Singles". Radio 1.