Green spotted puffer
A green spotted puffer may be one of several different species of Asian fresh or brackish water pufferfish in the genus Dichotomyctere (formerly Tetraodon), including:
- Dichotomyctere fluviatilis, sometimes called the green, Ceylon, or topaz pufferfish
- Dichotomyctere nigroviridis
- Dichotomyctere sabahensis, sometimes called the Sabahensis puffer
Distinguishing these species is difficult, in part because each species is highly variable in colouration. Scientists working on these pufferfish as genomic lab animals consider it impossible to identify these species 100% reliably using colouration alone, and tropical fish retailers commonly confuse them.
- Monks N. (editor): Brackish Water Fishes, TFH 2006, ISBN 0-7938-0564-3
- Ebert Klaus: The Puffers of Fresh and Brackish Water, Aqualog 2005, ISBN 3-931702-60-X
- "Tetraodon nigroviridis: A phylogenetic study". Retrieved 2009-07-29.
|This Tetraodontiformes article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|