St. James High School
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (June 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|St. James High School|
St. James High School Logo
|10800 Highway 707
Murrells Inlet, SC 29576
|Motto||Sharks Move Only in One Direction, FORWARD|
|School district||Horry County Schools|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
|Feeder schools||St. James Middle School
St. James Elementary School
Burgess Elementary School
Seaside Elementary School
St. James High School (SJHS) is a public high school located west of Highway 17 on Highway 707 in Murrells Inlet, South Carolina approximately six miles from the Atlantic Ocean. It is one of 13 high schools in the Horry County School District. St. James has over 1,400 students and is the home of the St. James High School Sharks. St. James Elementary, Burgess Elementary, Seaside Elementary, and St. James Middle School feed into St. James High.
Due to the rapid growth in the south beach area and overcrowding at Socastee High School, Horry County Schools began planning the construction of a new high school in the Burgess community in 2002. Although the county wanted to name the new school South Strand High School, the decision was ultimately left up to a committee formed by local students and parents to select the school's name, mascot, and colors. The name St. James High School was chosen, and the school opened to students in 2003. St. James opened with 700 students, which did not include a senior class.
The high school has eight computer labs, a media center with over 14,000 books, a 682-seat auditorium, gymnasium, mini gym, and a weight room. Its athletic facilities include three lighted practice fields, a 5,000 seat football/soccer stadium surrounded by an eight-lane track, a softball field, baseball field, four tennis courts, and an on-campus cross country course. Additionally, the boys' golf team plays at Wicked Stick Golf Links in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, the girls' golf team plays at Blackmoor Golf Club in Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, and the swim team meets at Coastal Carolina University .
St. James offers 13 Advanced Placement classes along with Horry-Georgetown Technical College. The St. James Fine Arts Department consists of The Pride of St. James marching band, chorus, orchestra, art, and drama. The English Department produces the Shark Attack school newspaper and the Echoes yearbook.
St. James offers 11 fall sports, seven winter sports, 13 spring sports, and five annual sports.
- Fall sports: B-team, JV, and varsity football, JV and varsity volleyball, boys' and girls' cross country, girls' golf, girls' tennis, and girls' and boys' swimming.
- Winter sports: wrestling, B-team, JV, and varsity boys' basketball, and B-team, JV, and varsity girls' basketball.
- Spring sports: JV and varsity baseball, JV and varsity softball, boys' tennis, boys' and girls' track and field, boys' JV and varsity golf, JV and varsity boys' soccer, JV and varsity girls' soccer. As of 2015, St. James High School has a lacrosse team.
- Year-round sports: B-team, JV and varsity cheerleading, Sharkies dance team, and step team.
- 2005–2006: Boys 400 Meter Hurdles AAA State Champion
- 2006–2007: Girls Softball AAA State Champions
- 2006–2007: Boys 400 Meter Dash AAA State Champion
- 2006–2007: Boys 800 Meter Run AAA State Champion
- 2006–2007: Boys 400 Meter Hurdles AAA State Champion
- 2006–2007: Boys 4x400 Meter Relay AAA State Champions
- 2007–2008: Boys 4x400 Meter Relay AAA State Champions
- 2008–2009: Boys 4x400 Meter Relay AAA State Champions
- 2008–2009: Boys 400 Meter Dash AAA State Champion
- 2010–2011: Boys Baseball AAA State Champion
- 2010–2011: Individual Wrestling 140 lb Weight Class AAA State Champion
- 2011–2012: Individual Wrestling 145 lb Weight Class AAA State Champion
- 2011–2012: Individual Wrestling 220 lb Weight Class AAA State Champion
- 2011–2012: Individual Wrestling 132 lb Weight Class AAA State Champion
St. James also boasts a competitive music program.
South Carolina All-State Principal Chairs
- 2005 & 2007: 1st-Chair Bass Clarinet
- 2010: 1st-Chair Oboe
- 2010: 1st-Chair Trumpet
- 2011 & 2013: 1st-Chair Euphonium
- 2012 & 2013: 1st-Chair Saxophone
- 2015: 1st-Chair Flute
- 2015: 1st-Chair Bass (Jazz)