The ground has hosted football games since 1924. The stadium was built for ŁKS Łódź. Stadium had a capacity of 45,000 (record attendance: 21.08.1971 ŁKS – Polonia Bytom 0:0). It was demolished in 2014 and replaced by a single stand with a capacity of 5,700.
A new 16,500-seat stadium was planned on the same site. Support for the project was undermined by the re-call election of the Lodz City President in early 2010. The interim president has questioned the cost of the stadium. The city has also announced a public auction for their stake in the club as they can no longer afford to cover the clubs loses.
In November 2013 a contract was finally signed to begin construction of the new stadium with Mirbud, with completion within 20 months. Initially only one stand with a capacity of 5,700 seats was built. Once completed on all four sides the stadium will have a capacity of over 20,000. There is no timeline yet for the further development as LKS do not require the extra seating as they are currently in the 4th tier of Polish football because of relegation caused by bankruptcy. The new site is adjacent to the original stadium.
The stadium is also host Budowlani Łódź Rugby Club. The total spend will be less than 100 million zloty. The City of Lodz is funding the development and will control the facility once complete, with LKS and Budowlani just tenants. As of 2017 ŁKS advanced to the 3rd tier of Polish football resulting in the Mayor announcing that the remaining three tribunes will be built. The work on the remaining tribunes is expected to start in 2018. However, the actual reconstruction started in September 2019.
- Kuczmera, Dariusz (January 8, 2015). "Trwa budowa stadionu ŁKS. Dziesięciotonowe dźwigary czekają na dach nad trybuną [ZDJĘCIA]". Dziennik Łódzki.
- Media, Wirtualna Polska. "Sport w WP SportoweFakty - wiadomości sportowe, relacje na żywo, wyniki". sportowefakty.wp.pl.
- "Nowy ŁKS idzie na przetarg. I do pierwszej ligi". Sport.pl.
- "Homepage | MIRBUD S.A." mirbud.pl.
- Kuczmera, Dariusz (August 26, 2014). "Nowy stadion ŁKS. Zobacz jak wygląda budowa obiektu przy al. Unii [ZDJĘCIA]". Dziennik Łódzki.
- http://www.sportowa.lodz.pl/aktualnosci/?news=2021&rok=2013-11[dead link]
- "Poland: Łódź signs contract for third stadium". stadiumdb.com. 5 June 2019.
|This article about a Polish stadium or sports venue is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|