Stanley Smith (rugby league born 1937)
- Not to be confused with the rugby league footballer of the 1920s, and 1930s for Great Britain, England, Wakefield Trinity, and Leeds, Stanley Smith
|Full name||Stanley Smith|
|Born||28 May 1937
|Died||14 November 2012 (aged 75)|
Stanley "Stan" Smith (28 May 1937 — 14 November 2012 (aged 75)), birth registered in Wakefield district, was an English professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1950s, and 1960s, playing at club level for Wakefield Trinity, and Bramley, as a wing, i.e. number 2 or 5.
Stan Smith played left wing, i.e. number 5, in Wakefield Trinity's 20-24 defeat by Leeds in the 1958 Yorkshire County Cup Final during the 1958–59 season at Odsal Stadium, Bradford on Saturday 18 October 1958.
Stanley Smith, after successful work with the Wakefield Schools R.L. side, was a member of our own "Trinity Juniors." He signed for Trinity in 1954 and made his senior début in December of that year. In the following season he made 15 appearances and scored 8 tries, but then came a break in his career with a call for Military Service. He has helped Trinity’s senior side on many occasions since his return from the forces without being able to command a regular berth. It is, of course, with that in mind – that he and Chamberlain will have the chance of regular senior football – that these transfers have been made. Smith’s full record with Trinity is:- Appearances 59. Tries 39. Points 117.— Wakefield Trinity RLFC Official Programme, 23 September 1961
Stan Smith's marriage to Molly (née Geary) (born 1937) was registered between January and March 1961 in Wakefield district. Smith's wife Molly is the middle sister of Peggy who married Albert Firth, and Lily who married Leslie Chamberlain.
During the late 1920 and 1930s there was a rugby league footballer who played for Wakefield Trinity, Leeds, England and Great Britain who was also called Stanley "Stan" Smith. These Stanley "Stan" Smith's are clearly not the same person, nor were they related.
- "Birth details at freebmd.org.uk". freebmd.org.uk. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Lindley, John (23 September 1961). Wakefield Trinity RLFC Official Programme: Leeds. John Lindley Son & Co Ltd. ISBN n/a
- birth registered
- "Marriage details at freebmd.org.uk". freebmd.org.uk. 31 December 2011. Retrieved 1 January 2012.
- Wakefield Express Page-18, Friday 30 November 2012